The Little Gift that Changes Lives

This great little gift idea was inspired by the touching and thought provoking book One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp.  This year one of my gifts to friends and family is a dare to live fully right where you are by taking the little moments as well as the big moments and doing something powerful with them. Write them down! We must believe that all these little fleeting moments are what make up life. Therefore, we must stop letting them slip by. Yes, this little notepad and challenge is the perfect gift! You will soon discover that your life will be transformed as you jot down those thankful moments.

“I didn’t think I was fixing anything in the beginning either. But this literal counting of everyday gifts — all the way up to one thousand — more — what if it’s this wildly simple way to move our focus beyond burdens of life to the blessings of now?” Ann Voskamp

Ann Voskamp’s story is not happily ever after.  As a child, her sister was crushed under a truck in front of her and her mother.  Consequently, her mother checked herself into a psychiatric hospital and her father couldn’t find God.  As an adult, she stood beside her brother-in-law as he buried his first two sons.  Voskamp is a wife and mother who does not grin through the pain but battles to believe that in God is joy, and that there are as many gifts amid the grittiness of life as in the moments of celebration. -Onethousandgifts.com

As I read and begin this journey my heart and soul is transformed and I am reminded of His Truth: Grace, Thanksgiving and Joy.  They knock at my door, beckoning “Live, live life.”

Supplies:

• Notepads
  • glue
  • scrapbook paper

Trace the cover of the notepad onto scrapbook paper and cut it out and glue onto pad.  You can also do this to sticky notes for quick jotting down and then going back and recording it in your pad.

Tags: , , , ,

17 Responses to “The Little Gift that Changes Lives”

1. December 6, 2011 at 10:18 pm #

Wow! You have totally made me want to go read that book! :)

2. December 7, 2011 at 12:37 am #

This is a wonderful idea!! Would love it if you would stop by and share this at my linky party going on right now :) http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/12/bedazzle-me-monday-11.html

Have a great week!!

• December 7, 2011 at 3:26 am #

Nikki,
      Thanks for stopping by. Yes, I am excited to start this! I will hop over and visit you in a few.

3. December 9, 2011 at 5:04 pm #

OK now I have another book to add to my list =) Would you please share this with my readers for Fun Stuff Fridays linky party? http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2011/12/fun-stuff-fridays-3.html

• December 10, 2011 at 1:51 am #

Lindsi,
      Thanks for stopping by. Yes, a must read. I will try to remember to stop by and link up. Thanks for the invite.

4. December 10, 2011 at 9:53 pm #

would love it if you could share this on my link party Serenity Saturday at http://www.serenityyou.blogspot.com

Natasha xx

5. December 12, 2011 at 9:04 pm #

Such a great idea; thanks for sharing at Shine On Fridays! Hope you’ll be back again this weekend.

6. December 12, 2011 at 9:05 pm #

Natasha, Thanks for stopping by. I will try to hop over to your blog, if I can remember. I am getting old, lol.

7. December 16, 2011 at 10:45 am #

Great gift idea! Feel free to come link up at our Crafty Christmas gift link up! http://raisingoranges.blogspot.com/2011/12/crafty-christmas-link-up-party.html

• December 18, 2011 at 1:26 pm #

Katie,
      Thanks, I hope my friends and family actually use it. I will try to remember to stop by your linky! gracias

8. January 24, 2012 at 9:40 pm #

Ann’s book truly is wonderful. I bought it at a time when I was so discouraged and battered with the serious blows of life. I felt like my whole world was crashing down a my feet. Then a visit to a Christian bookstore to buy my best friend a birthday gift, resulted in me discovering Ann’s book – it certainly has changed my life. Choosing to develop an attitude of gratitude turned my life around. I still have many of the same struggles but my focus is more on God and less on my circumstances, I am so much happier even though there is “apparent disaster” around me.
    I am glad I disvovered your blog :)

9. January 7, 2012 at 8:09 pm #

Lovely, thanks for the pingback

1. The Winner of our Book Giveaway « Inspired By Family - December 7, 2011

[...] heard from our winner we will pick another winner. Check out what we have going on today: The Little Gift that Changes Lives Share this:TwitterFacebookEmailLike this:LikeBe the first to like this [...]

2. The weathered hands of motherhood | Refusing to Tiptoe - January 2, 2012

[...] The Little Gift that Changes Lives (inspiredbyfamilymag.com) [...]

3. One thousand gifts in 2012: I Dare You | Refusing to Tiptoe - January 7, 2012

[...] The Little Gift that Changes Lives (inspiredbyfamilymag.com) [...]