Day -3 What Not To Wear Christmas Edition & Tips

Welcome to our series Simplifying Christmas Gatherings.  On Monday we focused on Holiday Meal Recipes and Tuesday it was Appetizer Recipes but today we are going to move away from what you cook to how you look with our: What Not To Wear Christmas Edition & Tips.

I am not opposed to saucy, fashionista, out of the box, wear it with panache styles BUT there are somethings that should never happen. Even if your 99.9 percent confident in your sartorial prowess don’t walk out the house to your Christmas Party dressed like this.

For example, we have here this fine gentlemen sporting the latest Floridian Christmas trend: If you must wear crochet please abstain from wearing it on your bottom.

source not found

Right off the runway with designer, Chewbaca the latest in Goat Fur boots. Though I must add, there are some cute fur boots out there but these I just don’t have words for.

Boot Tips

From Style Tread- “No, this doesn’t mean you have to stifle fun fashion with daft do’s and don’ts, but it does mean that your height, shape, and personal style impacts the look of your boots.

• With Bare Legs– Don’t get us wrong, bare legs with boots can be super sexy, but in the wintertime, it just looks strange. This is especially the case with short ankle booties. Plus, it can’t be very comfortable with the cold weather! Stick to some chic tights or a pair of legging or skinny jeans.
  • With Capris or Cutoffs– Although capris and cutoffs are primarily summertime wardrobe choices, many women try to wear them on brisk fall or chilly winter days, thinking they can still get some use out of them. Nothing ruins the look of a sizzling winter boot more than a pair of capris or cutoffs. Whether you’re tall, short, slim, or round, avoid this look like the plague! It will only throw off your proportion and make you look shorter. “

Loathe Them or Love Them

The infamous harem pants or for those of us who survived the 80′s we call them, Hammer pants.  Maybe they are comfortable but I still can’t imagine having an excessive amount of fabric hanging between my legs to be comfortable, nevertheless, they have been back for two seasons now.

And speaking of pants and boots here is a great tip from Style Berry:

Tucking Non-Skinny Jeans in your Boots Tip

via Polyvore

Dressing Down a Fancy Dress

One of the conundrums I continuously find myself in, is going from a go to work mom to a stay at home and work mom and figuring out how to dress down my nice work clothes, without having to buy new clothes.  If you have a fancy dress lying around and need to dress it down here are a few tips:

1. Wear it with boots.  Boots add a casual look to the fanciest dresses.
  2. Wear it with a jean jacket, frock or cardigan.
  3. Try it with leggings and casual flats.
  4. Add a belt.

What are some of your What Not To Wear Fashion Tips?

31 Responses to “Day -3 What Not To Wear Christmas Edition & Tips”

1. December 14, 2011 at 7:24 pm #

Haha, I would definitely agree with the crochet shorts. The whole boots and shorts thing confuses me too. It just doesn’t make sense.

• December 15, 2011 at 1:14 am #

shiloh, I would say just go with your gut on the boot thing. ask a friend for her honest opinion.

2. December 14, 2011 at 9:42 pm #

Great post! Totally loling at the crochet shorts! Who in their right mind sat there and crocheted away thinking these will be a nice pair of shorts? :)

3. December 15, 2011 at 1:14 am #

Kimberly, I know right. I can’t help but laugh everytime I see that picture.

4. December 15, 2011 at 10:28 am #

Those shorts are the funniest thing I’ve seen in a long while!

• December 15, 2011 at 12:39 pm #

Karen, I think I would pee on myself from laughter if I saw it in person.

5. December 15, 2011 at 12:37 pm #

Omg! This is hilarious!

• December 15, 2011 at 12:40 pm #

Crazy, huh! Make sure to pick up a pair for yourself they are buy one get one free, right now. LOL

6. December 15, 2011 at 5:59 pm #

OH MY GOSH!! LOLOL! I burst out laughing when I saw those shorts and had to show my husband…..who immediately burst out laughing too! I warned him if he was a bad boy, he was going to get a pair of them in his stocking. hahaha!

xoxo laurie

7. December 16, 2011 at 7:42 am #

THose are some amazing crocheted shorts. Hilarious :-) Stopping by from 30 handmade days.

8. December 16, 2011 at 5:51 pm #

Great tips! And whoa, who let that guy out of the house wearing that?! {shudder} Thanks for sharing at Shine On Fridays!

9. December 16, 2011 at 9:49 pm #

Those crochet shorts are cracking me up. Oh my goodness that is wrong!! Thanks so much for linking up and sharing at my Feature Friday Linky Party!

Danielle @ Blissful & Domestic

10. December 17, 2011 at 8:49 am #

OMG Hilarious…I’m dying the first pair of shorts gave me a visual.

11. December 17, 2011 at 10:05 am #

It takes a lot of confidence to sport those crocheted shorts. Absolutely hideous! (I bet my brother in law would wear them.)

• December 18, 2011 at 1:18 pm #

Miss Charming, If you want to call it confidence I would call it hmmmm not sure. I bet it would be a great joke though.

12. December 17, 2011 at 7:24 pm #

i’m with everybody else… these shorts are hilarious!!
    my hubby sometimes wears funny things just to make me laugh, if he’d ever wear those he’d have to submit me to the emergency room with a laughter induced coma. somebody please make them and sell them, I WANT ONE!!

oh my word, i just scrolled up to see the picture again and then imagined these shorts in combo with the fur boots… HAHAHAHAH!!!

• December 18, 2011 at 1:19 pm #

Simona, I used to do that to my hubbie walk out of the room wearing something hideous and ask him with a serious face how does this look. I am sure you could google crochet shorts sellers. LOL, on your shorts and boots combo.

• December 19, 2011 at 7:16 am #

I’m glad I’m not the only one who imagined the shorts and boots combo

13. December 18, 2011 at 9:10 pm #

Great post! Fun to read!

–Katie
    Creatively Living

• December 20, 2011 at 6:17 pm #

Katie, NOthing like a good laugh to get us through the day! Thanks for stopping by!

14. December 19, 2011 at 7:14 am #

the crocheted shorts about made me pee my pants. I think was the brown leather belt that totally set off the look.Seriously? seriously. what on earth were those people thinking. IF, for some absurd reason, you MUST wear crocheted shorts…yellow stripes? wow. just wow.
    very fun post!!

15. December 19, 2011 at 9:10 am #

Oh my, those shorts! I have never seen anything like those, and wish I never had! HA HA HA! Thanks for linking up with Creative Me Monday this week!

16. December 20, 2011 at 4:02 pm #

Hilarious!! And so true! haha Thanks for the laugh :)
    (Colleen) @ PaRtY of 5!

• December 20, 2011 at 6:20 pm #

Colleen so glad you got a laugh! Now you can chuckle everytime you recall these, lol.