Cinnamon Rolls New Years Breakfast Tradition

I know you’re supposed to start the New Year with great healthy aspirations but our family likes to start it with some SUGAH! Every year for the past 4 years I have made a different kind of cinnamon roll for our New Year’s Family Breakfast, to ring in our new year.  Our New Year’s traditions have changed depending on the number of children we had at the time, we went from: attending fun parties where I get to dress up, then 2 children later- having a family sleepover with friends and 3 children later- eating cinnamon rolls for breakfast.

Cinnamon Rolls are a great family friendly recipe to make together. Share your favorite cinnamon roll recipe?  I am going to run out of cinnamon roll combinations soon.

You’re going to laugh because the first time I attempted to make cinnamon rolls little did I know that most of the recipes take a day for preparation.  I had NO IDEA! So I stood in the kitchen with dashed hopes and then reality set in, “familia, we are having cereal instead.”  After this experience I came up with my own recipe that DOES NOT take a  more than a day, Lemon Blueberry Cinnamon Rolls.

• First year- Basic Cinnamon Rolls
  • Second year- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
  • Third year- Lemon Blueberry Cinnamon Rolls (see recipe below)
  • This year- Apple Cinnamon Rolls with Caramel icing! recipe coming soon

• 2/3cps brown sugar
  • 2tsp cinnamon
  • lemon zest
  • 3/4 cps of blueberries
  • 2 tspn of lemon juice

Directions:

-In a large mixing bowl dissolve yeast and water, let it sit for 10min or until bubbly.

-Add eggs, salt, milk, sugar, shortening, both puddings and lemon extract.  Slowly add all the flour (reserve 1/2 cp).  The dough will be sticky.

-Use remaining 1/2 cup to flour surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

-Punch dough down, divide in half. Roll each portion into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle; brush with butter. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over dough to edges. Place blueberries in lemon juice in a separate bowl. Then add lemon zest to all of the dough and place blueberries on top.

My hands were covered in sticky sugary mess so I couldn’t get a picture of the rolled up dough ready to be cut.

-Roll up jelly roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal. Cut each into 12 slices.

-Place cut side down in two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.

Bake at 350° for 22-28 minutes or until golden brown.

I learned this cool trick: use thread to cut your cinnamon rolls. It works!

We indulged this morning.

Image via Wikipedia

Lemon Glaze

• 2cps of powdered sugar
  • 2tsp  lemon juice
  • 1 tsp lemon zest
  • 1/4 cp milk

In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients. Spread over buns. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.

Tags: , ,

29 Responses to “Cinnamon Rolls New Years Breakfast Tradition”

1. January 2, 2012 at 12:36 am #

I know already this is going to be dangerous for me to try! Two of my absolute favorite flavors uniting would be indulging and irresistable!!! Try it I must! thanks for sharing. Yummm!!

• January 2, 2012 at 8:52 am #

Michele, I know right. My favorite combinations, too! Thanks for stopping by and the sweet comment.

• January 9, 2013 at 7:41 am #

Yes, you can make bread without yeast, but you will need what’s caelld a starter for that. To make a starter: Sterilize a 1 quart canning jar and set aside to cool. (boil the jar for 5 minutes in boiling water.)When the jar is cooled, add 2 cups of lour and 2 cups of water, Mix well. Cover with a clean cloth and place the jar in a warm area. Every day for 1 week remove 1 cup of the mix and replace with 1 cup flour and 1 cup water.(continued)

2. kellie
    January 2, 2012 at 9:37 am #

these look and sound delicious!!

3. January 2, 2012 at 11:24 pm #

What a wonderful tradition! I’ve never made handmade cinnamon rolls but my mom is great at it!

• January 3, 2012 at 11:09 am #

Tonia, you should try it. I was intimidated at first but once you make them you think “that was easy”. Plus, they are really hard to mess up.

4. January 3, 2012 at 7:38 am #

Oh wow! how good can it get! I needed some pizzaz for the holidays morning! thanks.

5. January 4, 2012 at 7:05 am #

Ooooh, wishing I had some of these this morning! Looks amazing!

6. January 4, 2012 at 2:06 pm #

Oh my – I am a sucker for cinnamon rolls but you add lemon to them and I’m a goner. Thanks!!!

7. January 4, 2012 at 6:24 pm #

Mmmmm…lemon blueberry!? Sounds so good! And apple caramel ones do too… Thanks for sharing at Shine On Fridays!

8. January 5, 2012 at 7:18 am #

Wow, lemon, blueberry and cinnamon! I’m in love!

9. January 5, 2012 at 2:15 pm #

These sound great, I love the idea of blueberries in them.

10. January 6, 2012 at 10:01 pm #

I’ve been looking for a new cinnamon roll recipe. I will have to try these. I love the blueberries. Totally wouldn’t have thought of that. Thanks so much for linking up and sharing!

11. January 7, 2012 at 5:46 pm #

This sounds delicious! I’ve made pumpkin cinnamon rolls & apple-pie cinnamon rolls…it’s fun to switch up basic recipes :)

12. January 8, 2012 at 11:54 am #

Oh yum! This looks delicious!
    Beth (TGIF)

13. January 9, 2012 at 8:44 am #

I featured this on my blog http://www.mirrorsmetaphorsandkaleidoscopes.blogspot.com. Thanks for sharing! Looks delicious!

14. January 9, 2012 at 10:14 am #

Oh my gosh! This looks so GOOD! What a fantastic recipe! Thanks so much for sharing at Taking A Timeout Thursday! Hope to see you again this week :)

15. Charlotte Moore
    January 10, 2012 at 4:20 am #

I make whole wheat cinnamon rolls and use honey and sucanat for the brown sugar spread. They are very good right out of the oven, but they dry out quickly because of the whole wheat. Much healthier though. I also use dried fruit and nuts sometimes. The glaze is also made with sucanat.

It would never do for me to make them lemon especially if I was home alone……

• January 10, 2012 at 1:01 pm #

Charlotte,
      Such a healthy alternative. Maybe lemon and healthy substitutes would work!

16. January 12, 2012 at 6:46 pm #

These looks absolutely wonderful!! Thank you for linking up to Strut Your Stuff Saturday. We would love to have you come back next Saturday and share more of your incredible ideas. -The Sisters

17. January 13, 2012 at 9:26 am #

Oh wow these look amazing! Thanks for linking up at So Very Creative. I featured these today make sure to come check it out.

1. Amazing Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls with Peanut Butter Icing (in 2 hours recipe) | Inspired By Family Magazine - January 2, 2013

[...] Cinnamon Rolls are a great family friendly recipe to make together.  My kids enjoy using the rolling pin and spreading the filling. You’re going to laugh because the first time I attempted to make cinnamon rolls little did I know that most of the recipes take a day for preparation.  I had NO IDEA! So I stood in the kitchen with dashed hopes and then reality set in, “familia, we are having cereal instead.”  After this experience I came up with my own recipe that DOES NOT take more than a day. I have a basic recipe and then I change up the ingredients each time. So far we have made 5 different kinds of cinnamon rolls, pictured below is our lemon blueberry cinnamon rolls you can find the recipe here. [...]

2. Secret Ingredient Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll with Caramel IcingInspired by Familia - October 29, 2013

[…] Third year- Lemon Blueberry Cinnamon Rolls (recipe here) […]