Not Your Mama’s Jeans

High-waisted, pleated, stone-washed, tapered-leg, cinched at the waist? Yep, those are Mom jeans. See Video.  Now be honest have you committed this fashion sin? If you have, there is still time to redeem yourself. Start by getting rid of those jeans, and while you’re at it, for goodness sakes, get rid of those 1990′s aerobic shoes with lime green sides that you keep trying to wear with jeans.

What are some of those not so trendy pieces of clothing you don’t want to get rid of? For me, it would be my two piece velour pants and hooded jacket. I know it screams “suburban mom” but it’s so comfy and perfect to wear around the house, I can also run errands and pick up the kids without having to change.

Many women think, “Well, I would rather look like an out of style mama, than a hoochie mama.”  One mom shares “I am not a sexy young thing anymore, I don’t need to be showing off my junk everytime I bend over.”  Yes, I agree.  No one should be “showing off their junk everytime they bend over” but that doesn’t mean you need to go off the deep end and commit the number one mom fashion sin:  mom jeans.

Now these days you can find a happy medium.  Jeans are now made to taylor every kind of body and budget:  medium rise, boot cut, slim cut, flare . . .  I know it’s work to find a good pair of jeans, but it’s so worth it when you do, because you can get a lot of mileage on them by dressing them up or down.  Department stores carry brands like Signature by Levi and Rider jeans that are affordable and stylish.  Look for a just-below-the-navel waistband for a contemporary look.  And nix trendy low cut jeans, those are for your teens.

Sheknows.com says “If skinny jeans aren’t for you, pick out a pair of flattering, slim bootcut jeans instead.  Bootcut jeans can balance out wide hips and elongate the look of your legs.”  Don’t be afraid to try on different sizes.  Depending on the brand and cut, jeans are sized differently.

Stay tune for more  great articles or you can follow us via your favorite social network to get our updates:Twitter, Pinterest or Facebook and our readers preferred way via email.

Accesorizing is Key

Dressing down your jeans can be done without the oversized sweat shirt or your favorite old t-shirt.  Accesories and shoes are key when you are trying to figure out if you want casual or dressy!  For example, here is a simple white tee and jeans set, but the accesories & shoes make all the difference!

• Out at the zoo with the kids: jeans, shirt, scarf and flats, awesome. If you would have had this on with athletic shoes, not so awesome! Athletic shoes should only be worn with workout clothes. Shoes can make or break an outfit so find a nice casual but versatile pair of comfy shoes.
  • PTO meeting or Bible Study – add the cardigan!
  • Girls nite out or date night with hubby - bring on the bling!
Pink & Pearls
Or you can dress up those jeans with a pair of boots and a splash of color, for these dreary winter days.  Personally I am intimidated by the heels on those shoes.  I would probably pair it with my black leather boots or black wedges! To dress this outfit down you can wear it with flats or sneakers, still comfy but chic.  Please note: sneakers and atheletic shoes are not the same thing. Sneakers have thin soles and are not bulky like atheletic/running shoes.
Out for coffee on a cool day - opt for a chunky sweater instead of a coat!

Picture credits: SNL video, Gap jeans, tracy-althouse at Polyvore, Julesgirl84 at Polyvore

Tags: , ,

29 Responses to “Not Your Mama’s Jeans”

1. January 6, 2012 at 12:18 pm #

Lol…oh, mom jeans. I just hate them! I’ve found some great jeans at Old Navy and Express that are flattering but appropriate. I’m glad you shared these tips at Shine on Fridays!

2. January 6, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

Amy,
    I like Old Navy jeans esp. when they are on the sale rack!

3. January 6, 2012 at 3:17 pm #

Totally remember that SNL skit…hilarious!! This is such a great post and I totally agree with your take on mom fashion. :-) Thanks so much for sharing this at Inspiration Friday this week!
    Vanessa

• January 6, 2012 at 6:37 pm #

Vanessa, thanks for the kind words and I am glad I am not alone on my fashion views.

4. January 6, 2012 at 7:29 pm #

Awesome post!

Kelli @ TheTurquoisePiano.blogspot.com

5. January 6, 2012 at 8:31 pm #

Love the first photo, so funny! Have you read Rachel’s post about Mom Jeans at Grasping for Objectivity? I think you would really appreciate it. I like your ideas on accessorizing.

• January 7, 2012 at 1:03 pm #

Karen,

No, I haven’t been to that site before but I will have to check it out. Yes, the first photo is hilarious!

6. January 6, 2012 at 10:03 pm #

great tips. I love a comfy pair of jeans with a scarf and ballet flats. The cutest! Thanks so much for linking up and sharing!

• January 7, 2012 at 1:04 pm #

Danielle, I wish my wide feet could do ballet flats :( because I agree they are cute.

7. January 7, 2012 at 9:16 pm #

haha I remember those mom jeans comments! your post is informative and encouraging for me, a mom!!

8. January 9, 2012 at 8:39 am #

Why does my mom continue to insist on the mom jean? Ugh!

A few blogger friends and I have collectively introduced a fun challenge for January. It would be so awesome if you want to participate! http://thespacebetweenblog.wordpress.com/2012/01/09/imagine-the-impossibilities-challenge/
    Karah @ thespacebetweenblog

9. January 10, 2012 at 12:26 pm #

Karah,
    I am pretty sure my does but she hides it with long shirts over the jeans, lol. I will definitely stop by and check out your challenge.

10. January 10, 2012 at 5:42 pm #

Haha, I’ll be honest, I commit the shoes sin pretty often.:)

11. January 11, 2012 at 4:59 pm #

The first photo is hilarious and brings but memories I don’t want to remember! thanks for posting an informative post. Now I’m encouraged to not do the momma jeans again! Also like you accessories ideas. Thanks for sharing at Sunday’s Best and all your inspiration!

• January 13, 2012 at 7:47 pm #

Cathy,
      LOL, memories of our past fashion trends. Gosh there are some pictures from my past I wouldn’t mind getting rid of.

12. January 11, 2012 at 7:24 pm #

I love my velour jump suit too! My husband hates it! It’s so comfy, and great to run errands in!

13. January 11, 2012 at 8:55 pm #

Lol! – love it :) I wear jeans from the juniors department( but not the low cut ones) They just fit better than the misses sizes. Thanks for linking up at FNF!

• January 13, 2012 at 7:49 pm #

Courtney,
      I have some petite friends who also shop in the Jr. section. Back in the day I shopped there too. It’s actually a lot cheaper than the grown up clothes.

14. January 12, 2012 at 6:43 pm #

Great Post! Thank you for linking up to Strut Your Stuff Saturday. We would love to have you come back next Saturday and share more of your incredible ideas. -The Sisters

15. January 17, 2012 at 7:02 am #

I can;’t get rid of my college hooded sweatshirts! They probably make me look like a teen mom, but they’re just so comfy and perfect for lazy days!

16. January 17, 2012 at 12:05 pm #

That’s one of my fave SNL skits! And I had already pinned that pretty pale pink outfit on Pinterest, so funny. Thanks for linking up to Refresh Your Nest Friday!

17. January 20, 2014 at 8:03 am #

I read this post completely on the topic of
    the comparison of latest and preceding technologies, it’s awesome article.
    Nightclub Promotions recently posted…Nightclub PromotionsMy Profile

1. Lil' Luna Link Party #61 - January 24, 2012

[...] Not Your Mama’s Jeans from Inspired by Family Mag – Valentine’s Kisses Freebies from Shindig - Photo Tips from It’s [...]

2. Modest is Hottest: How to be Stylishly Modest | Inspired By Family Magazine - August 25, 2012

[...] Not Your Mama’s Jeans Share this:TwitterFacebookEmailLike this:LikeOne blogger likes this. [...]

3. Teal Colored Print Blouse | P.H.A.T & Loving It - December 6, 2013