If your dinner time is anything like ours, your meals aren’t always greeted with excitement by your kids. Unlike Proverbs 31 mom, my children are not rising up from the table and calling me blessed, when they see our dinner. Nevertheless, I continue to dabble in Around the World recipes but adjusting them to a more kid friendly version. Sometimes that means allowing them to top my gourmet meals with ketchup. I know, disgusting but hey I have to pick my battles. This month I will be sharing with you our kid friendly Around the World recipes, so stop by again to check out the featured recipe.
Over the holidays, my four-year old decided he didn’t like turkey. He heard a children story about a turkey who was afraid because he was going to get eaten the next day for Thanksgiving. So you see mom, you’re not alone in these dinner battles. Well, this recipe is super easy and kid friendly. They get to eat with their hands, it has peanut butter and it’s healthy(hee, hee, they don’t even realize their eating their veggies). You can also eat this with a bed of rice.
Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps created in my cocina(kitchen)
- 3cps of cooked chicken -sliced, cubed or shredded, whatever butters your biscuit
- 2tbl soy sauce- if it’s the thick concentrated kind use 1/2 the amount
- 1/2cp shredded carrots/carrot sticks
- 1/4 cpwater chestnuts sliced
- bib lettuce leaves or any kind wide enough to hold your filling
- 3tbl red bell pepper chopped small
- 1tbl ginger
- 3tbl of crushed peanuts
- salt to taste
Thai Peanut Sauce
- 1/4cp of peanut butter
- 1/2cp of coconut milk or substitute it with lime juice and omit 1.5tbl below
- 2tbl honey
- 1 minced garlic or my kids preference 2tbl garlic paste (for texture reasons)
- 2tbl soy sauce or 1/2 the amount if it’s concentrated
- 1.5 tbl lime juice
- optional-chili paste/crushed red peppers I can’t get my kids to eat hot sauce and I am Mexican but if you can go for it
- In a bowl mix chicken ingredients together, minus the lettuce.
- In another bowl mix sauce ingredients together. If your kids need it to be a bit sweeter just add more honey. I like mine a bit more runny so I added 2 tbl of water.
- Place chicken filling in lettuce leaves and drizzle with peanut sauce or place on the side for dipping.
Image above is not my own. If you know who the credit goes to please contact me so I can share.