Cherry and Cream Cheese Heart Pastry

Cherries and cream cheese are one of my favorite dessert combinations.   Combine the two with pie crust and a heart-shaped cookie cutter and you get a sweet little pastry, just perfect for a Valentine’s Day Treat for someone you love.

These were fairly easy to put together, here is how I did it:

Ingredients:
1 to 2 pkgs refrigerated pie crust (depending on how many you want to make, or you could always make your own pie crust)
1 pkg. cream cheese softened
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla or almond extracts
1 can cherry pie filling
large heart cookie cutter
small heart cookie cutter (optional)
parchment paper
rolling-pin

Glaze
½ cup powdered sugar
2-3 tsp.  milk
Instructions:
Cover cookie sheet with a piece of parchment paper and preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Roll out 2 sheets of pie crust and cut out large hearts with the cookie cutter.

In large bowl, combine cream cheese, 1/4 sugar, egg and vanilla  or almond extract ( I used both). Set aside half of the heart cutouts for the top layer.  Spread cream cheese mixture over the bottom layers of the pie crust hearts to 1/2 inch of the edge.

Next, top the cream cheese mixture with a tablespoon or two of the pie filling .
(Oops, blurry pic, I had the shakes from too much allergy medicine…)

With rolling-pin, lightly roll out the rest of the pie crust hearts so they are slightly bigger than the bottom ones.  (They need to be bigger to fit over the toppings.)  If you have a smaller heart cookie cutter, you could cut out the middle so the cherries will show through.

Lay the top piece of pie crust over the bottom so it looks like this:
Using your fingers, press the edges together.  Go around the edges again with a fork for an extra strong seal.
 Bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or untill the pie crust has turned a pretty golden brown.
Let cool for about 20 minutes.  While cooling, mix the glaze.  Combine 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons of milk until smooth. If the glaze seems to thick, add another tablespoon of milk.  Drizzle the glaze over the heart pastries.
Enjoy!

Author:scatteredthoughtsofacraftymom

19 Responses to “Cherry and Cream Cheese Heart Pastry”

1. February 2, 2012 at 5:10 am #

Yummy!

Mrs. Delightful recently posted: My Memories Giveaway @ ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

2. February 2, 2012 at 6:37 am #

Mrs. Delightful, Thanks for stopping by!

3. February 2, 2012 at 9:53 pm #

YUM!

I would love it if you come by and link this up at From Scratch Friday @ Marriage from Scratch! It’s live already on the blog 

~Christina

4. February 3, 2012 at 11:41 am #

Yum yum! I’ll be using your recipe but using mini tart pans for itty bitty cherry tarts. Portion control, that’s the ticket! And now, I’m hungry.

5. February 4, 2012 at 7:11 am #

Ooohh these are so cute and I bet they are yummy too! I’ve made pie pops before, and they were a little bit like this! They look like cute little bites of deliciousness!

6. February 4, 2012 at 8:16 pm #

Yummy! I host a weekly meme called Thematic Thursday. Each week has a theme and this would be perfect for this week’s Valentine’s theme.

7. February 6, 2012 at 8:46 am #

These look delicious! I love how you have a heart cutout on opt to show the beautiful cherry filling. Does anything scream valentine goody more than cherry and cream cheese? I’d like to know!! ;)

8. February 6, 2012 at 5:07 pm #

Yum! Glad you shared this recipe at Shine on Fridays!

9. February 6, 2012 at 6:30 pm #

Thank you for sharing your sweeeet recipe at Potpourri Friday!

10. February 8, 2012 at 1:28 pm #

These look like the perfect treat! Thanks so much for sharing at Taking A Timeout Thursday!

11. February 9, 2012 at 5:50 pm #

These look amazing!! I would even eat these for a fun breakfast pastry!! Thanks so much for joining us on “Strut Your Stuff Saturday.” We loved having you and hope to see you back next Saturday with more of your recipes!! -The Sisters

12. February 10, 2012 at 1:36 pm #

Oh my gosh they are adorable and are probably insanely delicious! What a brilliant idea. Thank you for sharing – and for making me wish I had some right now! ;)

13. February 10, 2012 at 4:04 pm #

I love this! So cute! I saw this on Skip to My Lou I would love it if you would share this with our readers too for Fun Stuff Fridays! http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/02/14-days-of-valentines-fun-stuff-fridays_10.html

1. Valentine’s Day Weekend Link UP! - February 9, 2012

[...] Cherry Cream Cheese Hearts [...]

2. Experimenting with pastry and fillings – with tasty results « Crissybakes - February 9, 2012

[...] Cherry and Cream Cheese Heart Pastry (inspiredbyfamilymag.com) [...]

3. Experimenting with pastry and fillings – with tasty results | Crissybakes - June 19, 2014

[…] Cherry and Cream Cheese Heart Pastry (inspiredbyfamilymag.com) […]