South of the Border Breakfast Casserole

All of you Mexican food lovers, you’re going to be so thankful that you signed up to receive my updates, after taking your first bite of this amazingly yummy casserole!  Seriously easy, only 8 minutes of prep work and then you pop it in the oven.  It’s a hearty meal so you can even enjoy it at dinner.

I was raised in a traditional Mexican home and we ate refried beans with all of our meals: breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Not daily because you know what they say:

“beans, beans good for your heart the more you eat the ………..”

I will just stop there with my sillyness. I said this once at dinner (when I was a kid) and I got a disapproving look from my father.

Okay, now let me get back on track. As a child, it wasn’t surprising to wake up and have eggs, beans and tortillas for breakfast so here is one of my favorite combos.  In the near future, I will share with you another of my favorite recipes, Huevos con Chorizo.  Mmmmm, I can taste it already.

Mexican Tortilla Casserole or South of the Border Breakfast Casserole created in my cocina (kitchen)

Ingredients:

6 eggs

1cp of milk

2tbls diced onions

1/2 cp canned refried beans

1/2 cp or more shredded mozzarella cheese

3 handfuls of tortilla chips

2tsp of cumin

2 tbls cilantro chopped

salt and pepper to your liking

2tsp of Goya Adobo All purpose seasoning (optional) This was always in my moms cupboard.

1. In a medium size bowl mix eggs, cilantro, milk, onions and pour mix into your greased casserole dish.

2. Crush your tortilla chips (but not to crumbs) and add to casserole dish and mix well making sure they are covered in the egg mixture.

3. Take med size spoon fulls of your refried means and just lay them over the egg mixture and mix it in a little.

4. Pile shredded cheese over the top of the entire casserole.

5. Pop in oven at 350 for 35-45 min or until egg is set.

Top with your favorite Mexican food ingredients like salsa, avocado and sour cream, if you would like. Enjoy this hearty breakfast!

Another way that I have made it is: I used tortillas instead of chips and I spread refried beans on them and lay them at the bottom of the dish and to the top I add the egg mixture minus the beans and tortilla chips. I like the tortilla chips version but they are both good.

Tags: , ,

18 Responses to “South of the Border Breakfast Casserole”

1. lily
    March 13, 2012 at 6:31 pm #

I can’t wait to try it! Thanks for sharing this great breakfast.

2. March 13, 2012 at 6:43 pm #

I love finding new casserole recipes! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

3. March 13, 2012 at 10:15 pm #

That looks delicious. Thanks for sharing!

4. March 14, 2012 at 8:44 am #

This looks so delicious! Thanks for sharing at our Uncommonly Yours link party! Have a great week!

Take care,

Trish

5. March 16, 2012 at 10:13 am #

The fam would love this!

• March 17, 2012 at 9:30 am #

yay, always nice to find recipes that the fam loves. let me know how it turns out for ya.

6. March 17, 2012 at 4:19 pm #

This looks so good! I would love to have you link up to Sunday Round Up! http://www.kaylascreationsblog.com/2012/03/sunday-round-up-1.html
    -Kayla :)

7. Trish @ Mom On Timeout
    March 21, 2012 at 2:38 pm #

Oooh this sounds good! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

8. March 21, 2012 at 5:05 pm #

I love breakfast and I love Mexican, what a yummy way to combine the two! Thank you for linking up to A Crafty Soiree, I’ve featured your project in the newest one.

9. March 21, 2012 at 10:59 pm #

Love the bean story, reminds me of my husband and his rice stories (he is Filipino, I am not, so rice for anything other than dinner was something I’ve learned over the years). The recipe sounds great!

Thanks for linking up to Friday Food on Momtrends.com!

1. Feasting in Fellowship Friday- Resurrection Rolls (link up!) - March 23, 2012

[...] South of the Border Breakfast [...]

2. Around the World Kid Friendly Recipe: Morrocan Chicken Bake | Inspired By Family Magazine - June 1, 2012

[...] South of the Border Breakfast Casserole [...]

3. Around the World Kid Friendly Recipe: Moroccan Chicken Bake | Inspired By Family Magazine - June 1, 2012

[...] South of the Border Breakfast Casserole [...]

4. around the world kid friendly recipel: Moroccan Chicken BakeInspired by Familia - September 17, 2013

[…] South of the Border Breakfast Casserole […]