All of you Mexican food lovers, you’re going to be so thankful that you signed up to receive my updates, after taking your first bite of this amazingly yummy casserole! Seriously easy, only 8 minutes of prep work and then you pop it in the oven. It’s a hearty meal so you can even enjoy it at dinner.
I was raised in a traditional Mexican home and we ate refried beans with all of our meals: breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Not daily because you know what they say:
“beans, beans good for your heart the more you eat the ………..”
I will just stop there with my silliness. I said this once at dinner (when I was a kid) and I got a disapproving look from my father.
Okay, now let me get back on track. As a child, it wasn’t surprising to wake up and have eggs, beans and tortillas for breakfast so here is one of my favorite combos. In the near future, I will share with you another of my favorite recipes, Huevos con Chorizo. Mmmmm, I can taste it already.
Mexican Tortilla Casserole or South of the Border Breakfast Casserole created in my cocina (kitchen)
- 6 eggs
- 1cp of milk
- 2tbls diced onions
- 1/2 cp canned refried beans
- 1/2 cp or more shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 handfuls of tortilla chips
- 2tsp of cumin
- 2 tbls cilantro chopped
- salt and pepper to your liking
- 2tsp of Goya Adobo All purpose seasoning (optional) This was always in my moms cupboard.
1. In a medium size bowl mix eggs, cilantro, milk, onions and pour mix into your greased casserole dish.
2. Crush your tortilla chips (but not to crumbs) and add to casserole dish and mix well making sure they are covered in the egg mixture.
4. Pile shredded cheese over the top of the entire casserole.
5. Pop in oven at 350 for 35-45 min or until egg is set.
Top with your favorite Mexican food ingredients like salsa, avocado, and sour cream, if you would like. Enjoy this hearty breakfast!
Another way that I have made it is: I used tortillas instead of chips and I spread refried beans on them and lay them at the bottom of the dish and to the top I add the egg mixture minus the beans and tortilla chips. I like the tortilla chips version but they are both good.