All the Single Ladies and the Marrieds,Too!

Contributing Artist: Kathleen Ang-Dalseno

I misunderstood Proverbs 31 for many years as words meant only for married women.
There were a couple of reasons why I thought this.  First of all, it is addressed to a married woman.  Secondly, the older ladies from my church in Australia loved quoting this chapter at every bridal shower.
Last year, I read Proverbs 31 again and like never before I was able to see it through a new perspective.  Proverbs 31 is not just for wives.
When I put the words on a poster and the image floated around the internet, I realised that these words were ministering to thousands of women everywhere. It has ministered to career women, stay-at-home moms, female students, women battling cancer, strippers looking for a way out . . . .  It doesn’t matter in which stage of our lives we are, where we live, what our financial status is, this is what we wish for:  strength, dignity, joy and a bright future.

Tags: , ,

9 Responses to “All the Single Ladies and the Marrieds,Too!”

1. Steph
    March 27, 2012 at 8:09 pm #

Wow, I totally agree and get what you are saying. Thank you.

• Kathleen Ang-Dalseno
      March 28, 2012 at 10:39 am #

The pleasure is mine!

“Misunderstood” is actually quite mild to describe my feelings about Proverbs 31 when I was a young aspiring career woman. (Still am young!) I have to admit to a certain level of disdain for it because I thought “Proverbs 31= Housewife Sonnet”. But now, the words show me a picture of a strong, independent, successful, well-liked and respected member of society who also happens to be married.

2. March 29, 2012 at 9:18 am #

Love this poster! Thanks for sharing.

3. March 29, 2012 at 9:35 am #

There’s so much in this passage of scripture to learn from. I had similar disdain for it before I became a Christian and thought it meant a repressed woman just working all day for her family but have come to see it in such a beautiful light as God has shown me the value in her strength of character. Thanks for sharing.

4. March 29, 2012 at 10:03 am #

Hi Kathleen – beautiful. I love Proverbs and Prv 31 is a great one too. i see it as our ultimate goal as women. You are so right that it is for EVERY woman! God bless and thank you for linking up. i’d love to see you there next week
    Tracy

5. r.elliott
    March 29, 2012 at 11:12 am #

Hi neighbor….you are so right…my daughter in her singleness looked to become the woman God had her to be…not waiting until she got married…actually she thought she was called to singlehood and was very peaceful with that…but God had different plans…but she is so thankful her focus was on God and not on getting married. blessings to you.

6. Kathleen Ang-Dalseno
    March 29, 2012 at 3:03 pm #

Thanks everyone! I really really gleaned so much from Proverbs 31 last year. Here’s my understanding of this woman:

Apparently she has a huge household and she manages it well. She ensures everyone is well-fed and well-clothed from servant to master. She thinks about others before herself, she doesn’t forget about the needy around her. She is married, but she is very independent as she has her own business and it is profitable (she has a career!!!!!). She uses her profits to make wise investments that blesses her family. She has a great attitude and is optimistic, a blessing and a joy to be around. Her husband and children respect her.

Finally, finally, it says that her husband is respected amongst the city elders BECAUSE of her. Wow.

I believe only a woman who fears, trusts, and loves the Lord can do that.

Much love to all of you, let’s keep encouraging and spurring each other on!

7. March 31, 2012 at 7:03 am #

I didn’t leave a comment before but I just have to say I love this post =)

1. Link Party Highlights #27 – “Turning the Daunting Into the Do-able” - April 2, 2012

[...] last, but most definitely not the least is this printable that Kathleen from Inspired By Family Magazine [...]