Afraid of Adding Color To Your Wardrobe

I love color in my home decor but I find myself afraid to experiment with color in my wardrobe.  Sometimes I will wear one piece that is bold in color but adding accent pieces that are not neutral is a bit risky so I don’t. The color wheel explanation below was very helpful in figuring out how to add color accent pieces and mixing colors in my wardrobe.

“You can make the following combos using the color wheel as your guide:

• Colors directly next to each other (i.e. yellow and yellow-orange; yellow and yellow-green; violet and blue-violet, etc.)
  • Colors that form right (90 degree) angles with each other (i.e. yellow and red-orange; blue and violet-red; green and orange, etc.)
  • Colors directly across from each other (i.e. yellow and violet; blue and orange; red and green, etc.)
  • Colors that form a T (i.e. blue, orange, and violet-red; yellow, violet, and red-orange; yellow, blue-green, and red-orange, etc.)
  • Colors that form an X (i.e. blue, orange, violet-red, and yellow, violet, blue-green, and red-orange, etc.)

Since brown is a neutral, it will go with virtually any color on the color wheel. I love to pair a chocolate brown with cobalt blue or fuchsia or bright red—such a fun and bold combo. Of course white, black, and the hues of blue found in denim are also neutrals that go with just about anything.

Colors that are a part of a “color family” also apply. So for instance, you can substitute pink with red and still be able to pull off the combos based on the color wheel (i.e. we see that blue and red form a right angle with each other.” Nicki Minaj

Pop of Color In Your Outfit Tips

1. Use color subtly

By using soft colors to balance your bold main piece.

spring

For example, in the outfit above your old self would have just left out the blue thinking Coral is enough color for me.  But the light blue was such a subtle way to add interest to your outfit and to tone down the coral.

2. Use different shades in the color family

Come out of your comfort zone and don’t use the normal red that we have often seen paired with nautical navy stripes.  Use another shade in that color family (orange, pink, burnt orange, fuchsia, green…..)

summer stripes

3. Use accessories to add your pop of color

Make your pop of color small but bold with your accessories.

lavender and lime

In the above picture lime was the pop of color to her safe lavender and gray outfit.

casual weekend

4. Don’t be afraid to use main pieces like pants, cardigans, blouses to add color.

spring green
Yes, colored jeans and pants are in!
teal and pink
All images via Polyvore- bradierenee

15 Responses to “Afraid of Adding Color To Your Wardrobe”

1. April 27, 2012 at 9:48 am #

Makes so much sense now… Thanks for the tip

2. April 27, 2012 at 8:44 pm #

Meg,
    Yes, that is how I felt after discovering this but the hard part is applying it, right. Glad it was helpful.

3. April 29, 2012 at 6:03 am #

Great tips and cute outfits! Found you on A vision to remember party.

Amber @ recipeswelove.net

4. April 29, 2012 at 3:18 pm #

Love all these outfits! Thanks for the tip on colors!

5. April 29, 2012 at 3:44 pm #

Impressive post!

6. April 29, 2012 at 6:11 pm #

Great post and I really learned a lot. Love the outfits and wish they were mine! Now I’ll have a color wheel in my purse as a reference. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday’s Best Par.tay!

7. May 3, 2012 at 3:21 pm #

This is great inspiration; I need to add more color! Stopping by from Chef-in-Training :-)

8. Alisha @ Crafty Brooklyn Army Wife
    May 3, 2012 at 5:50 pm #

This is a big help!! TFS and posting pics. I’m stopping by from A Glimpse Inside linky party and this is what I shared this week http://craftybrooklynarmywife.blogspot.ca/2012/04/another-coat-for-holly.html

9. May 27, 2012 at 2:29 pm #

Thanks great

10. September 22, 2013 at 5:29 am #

Here is a simple, yet delicious recipe for making one the best ever grilled chicken recipes:
    . Place plenty of shredded lettuce or salad mix in an over-sized bowl.
    Beverages, breads, desserts, main courses, salads,
    and dressings – there was a Tupperware recipe for every
    part of a meal.
    http://www.bostonmamas.com/ recently posted…http://www.bostonmamas.com/My Profile

11. January 20, 2014 at 4:46 am #

# Divya Triphala Churna detoxifies and rejuvenates your body.
    These herbs are extremely used in ayurveda to provide strength and increase vitality of body and also promoting mental stabilility.
    It gets this property because of its cold potency action.
    Bulk Shilajit|Sheela Jeet recently posted…Bulk Shilajit|Sheela JeetMy Profile

12. January 29, 2014 at 1:06 am #

If so you should immediately contact a as soon as possible.

For instance ‘will he be able to defend our case or not”.
    No book can teach that, this valuable experience is beyond price and can only be
    gained in working as a criminal defense lawyer.
    http://www.storobinlaw.com recently posted…http://www.storobinlaw.comMy Profile

13. February 3, 2014 at 1:11 am #

In addition, the foam filling for some seats is soy-based, making it a renewable source.
    A deep-ribbed channel design is another feature of Audi
    floor mats and this is for your carpet’s protection.
    The crumb is heated and converted to liquid rubber before being
    poured into containers ready for use as required.
    http://carmatbuyer.livejournal.com/ recently posted…http://carmatbuyer.livejournal.com/My Profile

1. The Working Reading List: Adding Some Color | TheWorkingWardrobe.com - June 1, 2012

[...] Afraid of Adding Color to Your Wardrobe? (Inspired By Family Magazine): This article helps with some color combinations (even supported by a color wheel!), and showcases outfit examples. Don’t have a guide to color for your clothing? You do now! [...]

2. Modest is Hottest: How to be Stylishly Modest | Inspired By Family Magazine - August 25, 2012

[...] Are you afraid of Adding Color To Your Wardrobe? Here are some tips [...]