Behind the Scenes Family Photo Shoot

Stress, chaos, chasing after kids, bribing, stern (very stern) looks, “you better smile or else”, a

crying baby who could care less about any of your threats and bribes your spouting off.

Yea, I only know this because I have heard other moms share their horror family picture stories, NOT.

Well, I thought it would be great to take some Mother’s day photos with my men.

WHAT.  WAS.  I.  THINKING.

We were able to get a few good ones and the rest, well, were for sheer entertainment.

Tips that I need to remind myself of in the midst of the chaos:

1. Candid shots can be great.

2. Everyone looking at the camera and perfectly standing makes for a boring picture. (makes me feel better)

3. Take lot’s of photos. That way you have more to choose from or more to laugh at.

4. Have treats at hand. Yes, I am all about bribing for the sake of a good picture.

5. Take small breaks if you are going for more than 20 minutes.

6. Relax, relax, relax. The kids pick up on the tension in your voice (you like how I worded that).

7. Invest in a remote control and tripod but a friend is always a lot more helpful.

8. Know when to call it quits. It’s not worth it to drag it out.

Stop and thank God!  ”Praise you Jesus, we are done and no one got strangled!”

25 Responses to “Behind the Scenes Family Photo Shoot”

1. Anonymous
    May 13, 2012 at 5:38 pm #

Mari… I love this post! will have to remember that in future years!

2. Stephanie
    May 13, 2012 at 6:24 pm #

Mari, the collage at the top with all the captions and the final “good picture” is just wonderful. The captions make it absolutely hilarious in my opinion (though I’m sure it wasn’t at the time)! I love it. I just love it.
    I only laugh WITH you (I hope) because I have been there… we do not have tripod and remote, but I have done lots of pics of just our boys, and boy oh boy(s), I get where you’re coming from. Great little piece with great reminders to try to enjoy each moment. Love you!!! and HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!

3. May 14, 2012 at 5:12 am #

Oh thank you for this! It gave me my first smile and laugh this early monday morning. So very true – family pictures, especially with boys, just never seem to be right.

4. May 15, 2012 at 6:28 am #

Haha great post! Makes me feel better too! Thanks for being so honest and sharing your pics, looks like it was fun actually :) Happy be-lated Mother’s Day!

Found you via I should be Mopping the Floor’s..linky :)

5. May 15, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

That’s funny. Years ago we didn’t have any better luck when we had a pro do it. The kids were upset, the (ex) husband yelled at them, as if they are going to stop crying and smile because he is yelling…..but I did get some great photos out of that session!

• May 16, 2012 at 1:55 pm #

Christine,
      yea, yelling usually doesn’t help the situation. glad you still were able to get great photos :)

6. kjbshirlin
    May 15, 2012 at 7:43 pm #

Looks like fun! I know stressful too. You have a beautiful family, so celebrate that!
    Karen @ ItsAllGoodHome.com

7. May 17, 2012 at 9:02 am #

Mari, this is so funny! Funny, because this was my life with 4 kids years ago!!! We just had my dtr’s sr. portraits done on Tuesday and I was stressing out over that… I was telling her about how I needed a drink before we used to take family pics ha! I wanted to ground everyone by the time they were done…. oh the memories. Thank you so much for sharing this at Project Queen’s Link Party. It’s nice to know that other mother’s go through the same anguish! :-)

• May 18, 2012 at 8:22 pm #

Mandy, LOL! I guess these moments do serve as great laughing moments in the future!

8. motivatedmommyoftwo
    May 17, 2012 at 11:29 am #

I love the collage at the top, these pictures are priceless. We are getting ready to do a family shoot next weekend it is going to be interesting to see how it goes. Stopping by from the polka dots on parade link party

• May 18, 2012 at 8:23 pm #

Motivated Mommy of Two,
      Enjoy, next weekends shoot! Let us know how it goes. Remember bring lots of bribing ammo!

9. May 17, 2012 at 9:48 pm #

Hilarious! That would be the best scrapbook page! We can all relate. Maybe that’s why we don’t do family pictures very often.

• May 18, 2012 at 8:25 pm #

Rachel,
      We sure don’t do them often but maybe if we did our kids would be used to it. I had a friend who LOVEd taking pics of her babies by the time they were 2 as soon as they would see the camera they would look up and smile.

10. May 18, 2012 at 3:13 am #

Wonderful photo shoot. Thanks for sharing.

11. May 19, 2012 at 6:57 pm #

Great information. Cute photos! See real and not posed. Thank you for sharing it at WJIM.

12. jaime
    August 4, 2012 at 4:40 pm #

Thanks for sharing, I love the picture of you and the 2 boys. Pricless. What a great looking family! I will soon have 3 boys too:-) More fun for picture time,lol. FSPDT

13. April 1, 2013 at 8:02 am #

This made me laugh so hard!!! One year for our Christmas picture, we sat for over an hour trying to get a shot. The shot we finally chose was number 174!!! I laughed so hard that we had taken over 100 pictures!! Luckily my sister had a digital camera and just snapped and snapped until finally we were all semi-looking at the camera and halfway smiling:).

• April 2, 2013 at 7:35 pm #

Becky omgosh that’s hilarious but i am sure we probably had to take as many to get one decent picture not even a good picture.