Do you kiss your kids on the lips?

Do you kiss your baby on the lips? Do you still kiss your parents on the lips?

Do you think it’s gross or just darling?

This is how we roll: We don’t, but we do.  When I watched our 5yr old go straight for his kindergartens teachers lips that’s when I realized that maybe we should stop the kissing on the lips thing in our family because even though we told him you only kiss us on the lips he still equated it to, you only kiss people you love on the lips. He was going around kissing all his loved ones (not in our family) on the lips.

Shortly, after that it was his birthday so we thought this was a good way to introduce the “you’re six now and now we are going to kiss on the cheeks because you are a big boy now.”  Since then, we officially don’t kiss on the lips but sometimes when we say goodnight he goes straight for the lips and that’s okay. We probably would have kept kissing on the lips if it wasn’t so confusing for our son.

The important thing is making sure you are kissing them, hugging them and cherishing them even if they are pass that chubby cheeks stage and are now in that “one minute I like you and the next I don’t” tween stage.

I still have one in that chubby cheeks stage, and I kiss him on the cheeks, on the lips, on his forehead, his toes and his hands.  I can kiss his little chubby face all day!  I just can’t help myself, well, there are times when I can; like this morning, when his snot was flowing and I saw his little face coming straight for my lips.

Do you kiss on the lips in your familia? Do you still kiss your parents on the lips? Do you have an age when you feel like you should stop kissing your kids on the lips?

40 Responses to “Do you kiss your kids on the lips?”

1. May 16, 2012 at 2:34 pm #

We kiss on the lips in our family. My two boys (14 & 7) I still kiss on the lips. Been doing it since they were babies so I see nothing wrong with it. Now my 7 year old will only kiss me. Period. No one else gets kisses at all. He will hug his Dad, his brother and his grandma. No one else. The 14 year old kisses his Dad, brother and grandma on the cheek.

2. May 16, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

Heck, I’ve got kids and dogs…

Have a great rest of your week!
    POSH

3. ann29foot
    May 16, 2012 at 9:56 pm #

I usually kiss my kids nose or cheeks.

• May 17, 2012 at 5:50 am #

Ann, It’s runny nose season at our house so no kissing on the nose for awhile, lol.

4. Lynette
    May 16, 2012 at 10:53 pm #

My daughter is 29 months and we kiss on the lips. Half of my husband’s family is Basque and it is customary to greet family and friends that way. Her affectionate nature has converted several of my family members to kissing on the lips, though she understands that some people prefer a kiss on the cheek or a hug instead. I had to adjust to being kissed by my husband’s relatives, mostly seniors, but our daughter knows she doesn’t have to kiss ANYONE hello or goodbye if she doesn’t want to.

• May 17, 2012 at 5:52 am #

Lynette, I am always fascinated by others cultures and customs. We live in Ecuador though we are not Ecuadorian and the custom here is to greet with a kiss. My boys had to get used to that when we first moved here.

5. May 17, 2012 at 8:31 am #

lol…this is a funny topic. My mom would always kiss us on the lips, but I always thought it was kinda gross because I equate that to a husband/wife type of relationship, so I never intended to kiss my kids on the lips, but when a 2 year old comes over to love on you and goes for the lips…who has the heart to say “No, not on the lips.”? Not me. So, yes we do kiss on the lips in our family :)

• May 17, 2012 at 8:34 am #

Crystal, Love it! So true, so true. That picture is how my son puckers up and there is no way I can resist that face. That is unless it’s covered in snot, lol.

• monzanita
      May 18, 2012 at 10:36 pm #

That’s how I feel! My little boy is less than a year and when he gets older (like 7ish) I will probably stop. I say that now but who knows what will really happen! You said it perfectly so I had to reply to your comment, but this is a great post!

6. motivatedmommyoftwo
    May 17, 2012 at 10:47 am #

Stopping by from the terrific Tuesday’s link party and we do not kiss our kids on the lips. My husband’s family likes to kiss the kids on the lips but i have forbidden them from doing it. I think that we carry too many germs in our mouth to pass them down to our kids by kissing them in the mouth but that is just my opinion. Great topic

• May 17, 2012 at 1:54 pm #

Just last week I was telling my son that he could only kiss the baby on the forehead b/c he was sick and we didn’t want it to get passed around.

7. May 17, 2012 at 11:47 am #

What an interesting topic! We still kiss on the lips–our daughter is not quite two. We were talking about switching to the cheek though.

If you’d like, I’d love if you’d share this at my Teaching Time for Toddlers post–it really is about all things toddlers!

• May 17, 2012 at 1:55 pm #

Rachel,
      Enjoy it while they still want to, lol. Thanks for the heads up on your link party.

8. melissa
    May 17, 2012 at 12:26 pm #

ABSOLUTELY… until they decide they prefer not to kiss on the lips. I come from a family of kissers. My parents and grandparents always kissed us on the lips. My parents still do. Heck my mom even kissed one of my hubby’s friends on the lips back in the dating days. I thought it would give hubby’s friend a heart attack but now he gives her a great big smack on the lips every time he sees her and would have it no other way.
    I have to admit though that I’m not quite as free with the kisses as my mom. She’ll kiss everybody. I’m more of a selective kisser, but definitely always kissed my kiddos and especially those sweet kisses from my granddaughters who are 5 and 2. MUST HAVE THEIR KISSES =)
    I have friends that don’t kiss their kids on the lips though. It’s become a joke with us. They are the same friends that would NEVER let someone take a drink out of their cup, not even their kiddos OR hubby.
    Great topic. Thanks for sharing.

• May 17, 2012 at 1:57 pm #

Melissa,
      That is hilarious, that your mom kissed your hubby’s friend on the lips. Priceless! My mom is a cheek kisser so when she sees my husband she grabs his face and gives him a big smooch on the cheek.

9. Shandra
    May 17, 2012 at 12:35 pm #

Once my kids get to the point where they can respond to “can I have a kiss?” instead of just me puckering up, I start transitioning to kisses on the cheek. When they’re little, I think there’s nothing sweeter than little baby kisses! But I also remember seeing my dad kiss HIS dad on the lips when he was alive and thinking it was a little gross. So for me, there needs to be an end point. But for me, that’s when they can understand it. My older kids give me kisses on my cheek and my youngest, who’s 1, still does kisses on the lips. He’s starting to be the one to initiate the kisses, so when he does that, I turn my cheek towards him so he has started to get the concet.

10. May 17, 2012 at 9:44 pm #

Love this post! I am one who definitely kisses my babies a million times a day – not really on the lips though.

11. May 18, 2012 at 4:45 am #

What a interesting post! My son is now 14, so the cheek. He actually started the cheek vs lips at about 8. I do miss those sweet little baby kisses!!!

12. May 19, 2012 at 3:21 am #

Well, I’ll step in and be the out-of-place one here – I don’t kiss anyone but my husband on the lips! I respect that every family gets to write its own rules, but I’ve always felt that lip kissing is an intimate act and should be respected as such.

That said, we have a border collie who likes to give sloppy kisses and I know not everyone is okay with that, so each their own! :)

• May 20, 2012 at 7:38 pm #

Jamie, No you’re not out of place with your reply. Yes, we all have to do what works best for our families.

13. May 19, 2012 at 9:37 pm #

We do the same. My son was probably 5 or 6 when we stopped. I still get those cheeks though all the time:>

14. May 20, 2012 at 5:19 pm #

my daughter is 23 years old and yes, we still kiss on the lips. She kisses her dad, her nanny, aunt and me on the lips. Her brother gets a cheek! Boyfriend, well…we don’t talk about it!!! LOL.

15. aprilelaine23
    May 20, 2012 at 7:59 pm #

That is such a cute picture of your son pukering up! It is quite a dilema but you had good ideas there. Fun moment.

16. May 20, 2012 at 8:31 pm #

We go for kissing on the cheeks, chubby toes and necks and elbows, ears…you get the picture…when they’re babies, but really would prefer not to do the lips. I feel like it’s transferring “adult germs”–is there such a thing? to these precious little ones. So lots of kissing going on with them, just not on the lips. :)

17. May 22, 2012 at 7:34 am #

I kiss my little boy (4 months) just about every where and will probably continue to do so until he asks me not to. I do not kiss my own parents on the lips and do not even remember a time when I did so. I also don’t really like when anyone other than my husband or I kiss my son on the lips (only grandparents, aunts, etc. I’m not talking about strangers trying to kiss my baby)- mostly because of germs but also just feeling its a little gross.

18. May 23, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

My kids are 10 and 8 and I will kiss them on the lips until they wont let me anymore. I never kiss my siblings or parents on the lips though. That would be weird.

19. May 24, 2012 at 7:46 am #

We let everyone do whatever is comfortable. My husband’s family is pretty much all kissers – mostly on the lips. My family are more huggers but kiss the kids – mostly on the cheeks. We kiss our kids on the lips and other kids on the cheek unless they are uncomfortable – the boys tend to barely tolerate hugs once they are past about 6. :) We encourage our kids to hug teachers and friends but not kiss because of the rules in the school system and trying to teach about inappropriate touch. We also start teaching young to only kiss on lips/forehead or not kiss at all when sick. When the kids get to a certain awareness they tend to only kiss us on the lips on their own. We never “make” them hug or kiss anyone so its what they are comfortable with – if it feels weird to them they shouldn’t do it. Even grandma’s and grandpa’s understand that they are learning how to distinguish what’s appropriate and sometimes just don’t feel like a hug or kiss and go to a high five or fist bomb in our family. Its a good example to use as a lesson to teach the kids to listen to their instincts without going into a lot of detail. My 8 year old knows the difference between a mommy-daddy kiss and a family kiss – she figured that out at about 2 watching the princess movies, lol.

20. Trish @ Mom On Timeout
    May 24, 2012 at 9:45 am #

We kiss on the lips! My boys are 5 and 3 and I honestly haven’t thought about it until just now! Thanks for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

21. Miranda
    May 25, 2012 at 11:06 am #

We “peck on the lips” ( a dry quick kiss) with our girls, but they are only comfortable doing it with us, so it is not a problem. However, their older (girl) cousin kissed them on the lips the other day and they did not like it. So some people do, but I’m just not comfortable with a sloppy wet kiss.

22. May 27, 2012 at 8:11 pm #

Mari…this is a thinker. My children are older and kiss me on my cheek or forehead. Its still precious to me and says “I Love You” just fine. Thank you for a thought provoking post and linking up at WJIM.

23. momtomany
    May 29, 2012 at 12:10 pm #

We tell our littles that kissing on the lips is for babies and sweethearts…. when they’re not considered babies anymore then they get their kisses on the cheeks (around age 2).

24. Stacy Galvan
    July 4, 2012 at 10:46 pm #

My story is sad. My parents always kissed me on the lips, but after I got married (at 18) I remember my mom giving me a kiss goodnight when I stayed the night with her when my hubby was out of town, I kissed her cheek and she said to give her a kiss on the lips. I said moooom, I’m too old for that. That was the last night she was alive. I still cry when I think about it and when I see other parents giving their kids kisses. I have 2 kids now, 1 year old and3 year old and I kiss them as often as they’ll let me.

25. Natalie
    July 14, 2012 at 7:47 pm #

Thank you for writing this. I thought ours was the only family to have this discussion!:-) My husband grew up in a kissing family: mine was more of hugs and constant I love yous.We do both with our kids (ages 4 and almost 18 months). As for the extended family, we do whatever the individual feels comfortable doing. We do cheek kisses or hugs when someone has a cold. :-)

26. mccluresm
    January 15, 2013 at 1:59 pm #

personally the thought of kissing either one of my parents on the lips, cheek or otherwise is totally creepy and gives me the hardcore heeby-jeebies. I can’t remember anyone in my family kissing anyone other than their spouses after they were like 4 or 5 at most. My Gramma was the only exception, we kissed one another on the cheek when leaving, till the day she died, I can’t explain why she was different. I am 26 and I don’t have children of my own yet so I can’t say about that but when I was growing up pretty much the moment I hit puberty all physicality between my parents and I stopped immediately. We don’t even really hug, like only that awkward side hug thing. My Dad kisses his hand and put its on the top of my head if he is feeling silly and “Dad-like.” Maybe this has something to do with the fact that I have almost always worked with my family so it was inappropriate to act familial at work? Never really thought about it till now…