Summer means I get to lay in bed in the mornings. Our boys wake up early, so even though it’s impossible to stay asleep when they are up at least I get to lay there. When they were younger it wasn’t safe for them to be unsupervised now it’s them jumping on our bed, on us or them needing us to referee an argument.
I learned my lesson not to just lay in bed years ago. My husband had left for work and my 3 year old and 3 month old were awake and I was in bed, asleep. I woke up to an unfamiliar scream. A screech, a cry and it was coming from the living room it was our 3 mos olds desperate call for help. The inner ninja in me came out as I sprung out of my bed, I knew those karate lessons would one day come in handy. Once I got over my amazing kung fu fighter move, I ran into the living room. I was speechless to find my baby looking like Casper the friendly ghost. My 3 yr old had poured baby powder all over our babies head. I don’t know how long he had been at it but my baby was completely covered from the tip of his bald little head down to his tummy. He was completely covered with only his mouth and eyes peeking out of the dust of white.
So you get the point not much sleeping in, in our home. So what do I do when I wake up early make a yummy breakfast!
Cinnamon Rolled French Toast
from my cocina (kitchen) ~ my sons response to this meal “this is my new favorite breakfast”
- cream cheese
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 apples finely diced or your favorite fruit
- 6 eggs
- 1 c. milk
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- loaf of sliced bread
1. Spread cream cheese over each slice and then sprinkle sugar and cinnamon over each slice.
2. Using a pizza cutter cut it in thirds or 1/2. Just depends on how thick you want it and how wide your bread is. Our bread is pretty wide and thick so I cut it in thirds.
3. Mix eggs, milk together and dip each slice of bread in.
4. Sprinkle diced apples over each dipped slice of bread and roll. Your hands will get egg mix all over them.
5. Once you have one rolled and you want it thicker just roll another piece of bread over it until it’s at the thickness you want. I used two different sizes of muffins pans and for the regular size I rolled it twice and for the large pan I rolled it 3 times.
6. Place in a greased muffin pan if there is any egg mixture pour it over each roll but make sure it doesn’t over flow and bake at 350 for 10-15 min or when the egg is cooked.
6. Pour syrup over it and sprinkle with bacon pieces (optional).
Note: If you know you want mini size rolls then use a mini muffin pan and skip step 2 above and dip it in egg mixture once you have cream cheese, cinnamon and sugar on it. Then add apples and roll it and slice it and place in mini muffin pans.