Random Acts of Kindness Coin Jar

As I was planning for our summer, I came up with a mental list of boredom buster activities. When I was done, it hit me that most of our activities were all about our kids: the zoo, the park, the museum, play dates, VBS, family nights… Of course there is nothing wrong with making lists that our kids will enjoy because all of us mommies know that it’s the only way to survive summer, to be prepared.  But the more I thought about it, I wanted to add “others centered activities” to our list. I shared here on our Operation Brown Bag activity that we do throughout the year as a family but I wanted other activities that involve helping all types of people.

Summer of Spreading Joy was born! Teaching our kids that spreading joy starts with me, is important and what better way to do this then to model it. If we want to change the world it needs to start with us and the beautiful part about this is that we can make a difference no matter how old we are.!

Enjoy this activity Random of Acts of Kindness Jar!

Every time your kids do something kind they get to stick a coin in the jar at the end of the summer you can decide as a group how you all want to use that money to bless someone.

You can decide how much money to put in the jar for each kindness but I wouldn’t put too much emphasis on the amount because we don’t want them to think we are assigning value to their kindness.  With this activity not only are they learning that it’s important to serve in the community but just as vital to show that same kindness in our own home with our family.

Kindness Acts: (make your own list depending on age of your kids)

• saying something kind to a family member
  • sharing their toys
  • picking up litter on the street when you all are out
  • saying thank you to siblings, adults, sunday school teacher, service personnel
  • helping mom out with something that is not a part of their chores
  • picking up their toys, bed, dishes without being asked
  • greeting the cashier or other service personnel
  • helping the neighbor with washing their car
  • taking the neighbor their newspaper
  • raking leaves
  • writing a letter to military personnel, missionary kid

Remember you don’t want to make this an obstacle course having them jump through hoops to get a coin in but it also needs to fall into the category of kindness, goodness and charity. One of the wonderful things about parenting is catching our kids doing something good and to then praise them, encourage them in it!

What other types of activities do you do in  your home to instill a heart of service, giving and kindness?

Tags: , , , , , ,

15 Responses to “Random Acts of Kindness Coin Jar”

1. June 26, 2012 at 12:39 pm #

What a nice idea. Thank you for sharing it.

2. Jacqueline
    June 30, 2012 at 2:15 am #

Love this! Might try it with my first grade class.

3. Malina
    July 1, 2012 at 12:29 am #

I love this idea! The only thing that struck me as odd is the examples….Most of them are common manners, not kindness. Saying “thank you” to anyone who deserves a thank you and greeting another person is something that should be expected rather than rewarded.

• July 1, 2012 at 5:42 am #

Malina, I am glad you stopped by, I can see what you are saying. Though I think that in each persons home the list will look different esp. when you take in age and culture. Here where we live, you greet cashiers, anyone and everyone that you encounter in a one on one situation(strangers included). That is not always the case in other places. You go pay for your item and you walk out the door, the end. I don’t think people are necessarily trying to be rude or unkind when they do that but they are in their own world and in a hurry and it’s not done. For example, in our home manners and kindness go hand in hand. It’s expected, it’s encouraged and it’s praised! I did add more examples! Enjoy your journey, thanks for sharing.

4. July 5, 2012 at 12:08 pm #

What a beautiful idea! I can’t wait until my kids are a little older so we can do something like this! It’s brilliant!

• September 30, 2012 at 7:40 am #

Chantel, Thank you! You can change it up a bit for younger kids if you want to get started with it before they are 5.

5. July 22, 2012 at 4:14 pm #

It’s Party Time over at Debt Free Mommy Blog and you are invited! Please come link up anything related to making your space better at http://debtfreemommyblog.blogspot.com/ and mark your calendars for every Making Space Mondays linky party. The fun begins at 9:00 pm tonight. Hope to see you there!

6. September 28, 2012 at 10:43 am #

So excited to find your site today on Pinterest! I did a search for kindness jar and your site came up. I wanted to find some similar ideas for a post I did today and will put a link to your site on my Face Book page! When our kindness jar gets filled up we will take our kiddos out for a special family night but I love the spin of using coins and using them to help someone else. Good stuff!

• September 30, 2012 at 7:41 am #

DeAnn, Love your idea and your the heart behind your blog! Blessings on your journey!

1. Make a Difference: Bags of Joy - July 9, 2012

[...] Here is another simple idea to get your “Summer of Spreading Joy” rolling it’s an Random Act of Kindness Coin Jar. [...]

2. Make A Difference Bucket List | Inspired By Family Magazine - July 11, 2012

[...] project our family does throughout the year for street children.  Another idea, I share is the Random Acts of Kindness Coin Jar that you and your family can do or you can use this in your classroom if you’re a [...]

3. 21 Days of Gratitude – A Challenge for the Whole Family | Inspired By Family Magazine - October 31, 2012

[...] Random Acts of Kindness Coin Jar [...]