For our Fall issue that is coming out in two days, I did a series of crafts with Burlap & Lace and I wanted to share with you, 5 ways to keep burlap from unraveling. One of the things I learned is that because of the loose weave on this fabric it unravels easily and can quickly become a pain to work with. Though there are plenty of project that beg for the unraveled look.
Before you pick your burlap project think about the following things: There are different types of burlap some of them are light and thinly weaved and some are thick….. It can be itchy. It can be linty. I have seen some cute tablecloths made of burlap but I can’t imagine sitting around over a meal, having it touching my clothes and body. I will be showcasing some fabulous burlap crafts that we created here at our “studio”(that’s what I like to call our patio), on Wednesday so stop by or follow us here or via Facebook so you don’t miss a post.
How to keep burlap from unraveling:
1. Use masking tape on the backside of the burlap.
2. Use fabric stiffener or even modge podge would work. Remember the more you use, the stiffer it becomes so if you don’t want it so stiff dilute it some. This is the method I used for my no-sew table runner that I can’t wait to share with you. (stop by again on Wednesday).
3. You can run a simple straight or zig zag stitch through it with your sewing machine. Make sure there is at least 1/2 an inch from the edge.
4. Small amount of hot glue or silicon glue around the edges.
5. Binding tape and sew or glue it on.