No-Sew Captain Hook Costume From a T-Shirt

Nothing like last minute work to get your creative juices flowing.  It was the day before their Halloween party and we still had not discussed the costumes.   When I asked them this was their responses: Captain Hook, Peter Pan and a Pirate.

I had no time to sew nor was I in the mood, this is what I came up with for Captain Hook. After the party, it went into their costume bin and it still gets used for their pretend play.

If you are new here and you don’t want to miss our fun posts follow us via FacebookTwitter or  email.

What you need is a T-shirt you don’t mind cutting up. You can also use a polo.

You can leave the sleeves on but we wanted it to be a sleeveless coat.

•  Glue for fabric
  • Red Tee or polo
  • Gold ribbon, Black ribbon
  • Black felt for the bottom trim

1. Cut the tee as shown in the picture above. Down the middle and cut the sleeves off.

2. Use the black felt and cut out along rectangular shape it that will go around the bottom of Captain Hooks coat.  Then glue the black felt to the bottom of the t-shirt.

3. Then glue the black ribbon down the middle of both sides. This gave it a more clean look and it covered up the raw cut edges.

4. Next add gold ribbon and glue it over the bottom where the black felt and the t-shirt meet.

5. Then glue small strips of gold ribbon down the middle of the coat as shown above.

This captain hook costume took me about 20 minutes to complete.  The pirate hat was a lot harder to make and my son didn’t even end up using it, blah.

no sew captain hook costume

Check out our other fun post:

No Sew Peter Pan costume here!

Last Minute No Sew Wizard of Oz Costumes for the family

No Sew Viking Family Costume

Halloween Finger Food- Easy Recipe!

88 + Really Awesome DIY Costumes

DIY Trick or Treat Bags

Tags: , , , , , , ,

19 Responses to “No-Sew Captain Hook Costume From a T-Shirt”

1. September 26, 2012 at 3:16 pm #

What a great costume! I don’t sew, so I am always looking for good no-sew ideas. Would love for you to link up at our homemade costume blog parade:

2. September 26, 2012 at 6:35 pm #

That is so creative and cute! I could have never come up with it. Thanks for sharing this with me. Adding it to my list now!

• Inspired by Family Mag
      October 9, 2015 at 8:45 am #

Bethany, Glad you could add it to your list. ~mari

3. September 27, 2012 at 6:40 pm #

What a great idea… I can’t sew so anything no sew is always welcomed ! thank you so much for taking the time to share and link…we appreciate it…xo Lucy

4. September 27, 2012 at 8:38 pm #

oh how cute and simple!!!! I LOVE it!!!!! :) Thank you so much for the sweet idea and for linking up at Happy Hour!!!

5. September 28, 2012 at 7:49 am #

This is a great costume idea. I love the look and how easy it is!

6. September 28, 2012 at 2:04 pm #

What a clever idea to cut up a jacket! Awesome job. My weekly linky party–One Creative Weekend–has gone spooky this week in honor of my thirteenth party. If you haven’t already, I hope you’ll visit “One Creative Weekend” on (open every Fri-Wed) and link up this idea and anything else you’d like to share. (You can include non-Halloween posts as well, but feel free to link up as many Halloween-themed posts as you like.)

7. September 28, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

Oops–I guess it’s not a jacket. It’s a shirt. Still fabulous!

8. October 1, 2012 at 12:49 am #

That is fantastic! So simple and it looks amazing. I think I’ll make one of these for my son’s dress up cabinet. Pinning!

9. Mztee25
    December 10, 2012 at 7:08 pm #

Luv it and its cheap to make and fast I’ve been looking for a coat for my grandson 1st birthday it will be a pirate theme as well thanks so much love it

• Inspired by Family Mag
      October 9, 2015 at 8:44 am #

Mztee, Thanks and I’m sure your grandson will look adorable! ~mari

10. liz
    October 30, 2013 at 9:19 pm #

Oh my goodness I totally made this for my brother who was visting from out of state and wanted to fit our family theme it turned out amazing! Although I used permanent double sided tape to put it together because I didn’t want to mess with glue. Thank you so much!!!!!

• Inspired by Family Mag
      October 9, 2015 at 8:43 am #

Liz, So glad it worked out for you all! Yes, permanent double sided tape will also do the trick. I’ll add that to my post. Thanks for the tip. ~mari

11. January 12, 2015 at 4:33 pm #

Wonderful post! We will be linking to this particularly
    great content on our site. Keep up the great writing.
    children sewing machine recently posted…children sewing machineMy Profile

1. 12 Halloween Candy Alternatives | Inspired By Family Magazine - October 9, 2012

[...] No-Sew Captain Hook Costume using a t-shirt [...]

2. 50+ Easy No Sew Costumes for Halloween - No Twiddle Twaddle - August 24, 2013

[...] No Sew Captain Hook costume is truly creative from Inspired by Family Magazine. (Can you believe that she made this from a [...]

3. No Sew Costume for Kids: Peter PanInspired by Familia - September 27, 2013

[…] Hooks no sew costume tutorial is here (just as easy) and the baby pirate costume was the easiest to put together: t-shirt, eye patch and […]

4. Halloween Party Favors: Pumpkin Play DoughInspired by Familia - October 9, 2013

[…] No-Sew Captain Hook Costume […]

5. Homemade Halloween 2014: Peter Pan | - November 1, 2014

[…] everyday wear!), jacket was made using a plain red shirt, some black felt and some ribbon using this tutorial.  Smee just used things we had around the house, and I wore the Toto hat I made for Will last […]