No-Sew Captain Hook Costume From a T-Shirt

Nothing like last minute work to get your creative juices flowing.  It was the day before their Halloween party and we still had not discussed their costume.   When I asked them this was their responses: Captain Hook, Peter Pan and a Pirate.  I had no time to sew nor was I in the mood to sew, this is what I came up with for Captain Hook. After the party, it went into their costume bin and it still gets used for their pretend play.

If you are new here and you don’t want to miss our fun posts follow us via FacebookTwitter or  email.

What you need is a T-shirt you don’t mind cutting up or you can use a polo.

You can leave the sleeves on but we wanted it to be a sleeveless coat.

Supplies:

•  Glue
  • Red Tee or polo
  • Gold ribbon, Black ribbon
  • Black felt for the bottom trim1. Cut the tee as shown in the picture above. Down the middle and cut the sleeves off.
  • 2. I used the black felt for the bottom part of Captain hooks coat. I glued the black felt to the bottom of the Tee.3. Then glue the black ribbon down the middle. This gave it a more clean look and it covered up the raw edges.4. Next add gold ribbon and glue it over the black felt and the t-shirt. Also, glue small strips of gold ribbon in the middle area as shown above.

This captain hook costume took me about 20 minutes to complete.  The pirate hat was a lot harder to make and my son didn’t even end up using it.

Check out our No Sew Peter Pan costume here!

DIY Trick or Treat Bags

Tags: , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to “No-Sew Captain Hook Costume From a T-Shirt”

1. September 26, 2012 at 3:16 pm #

What a great costume! I don’t sew, so I am always looking for good no-sew ideas. Would love for you to link up at our homemade costume blog parade: http://alldonemonkey.com/2012/09/23/homemade-costume-blog-parade/

2. September 26, 2012 at 6:35 pm #

That is so creative and cute! I could have never come up with it. Thanks for sharing this with me. Adding it to my list now!

3. September 27, 2012 at 6:40 pm #

What a great idea… I can’t sew so anything no sew is always welcomed ! thank you so much for taking the time to share and link…we appreciate it…xo Lucy

4. September 27, 2012 at 8:38 pm #

oh how cute and simple!!!! I LOVE it!!!!! :) Thank you so much for the sweet idea and for linking up at Happy Hour!!!

5. September 28, 2012 at 7:49 am #

This is a great costume idea. I love the look and how easy it is!

6. September 28, 2012 at 2:04 pm #

What a clever idea to cut up a jacket! Awesome job. My weekly linky party–One Creative Weekend–has gone spooky this week in honor of my thirteenth party. If you haven’t already, I hope you’ll visit “One Creative Weekend” on OneCreativeMommy.com (open every Fri-Wed) and link up this idea and anything else you’d like to share. (You can include non-Halloween posts as well, but feel free to link up as many Halloween-themed posts as you like.)

7. September 28, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

Oops–I guess it’s not a jacket. It’s a shirt. Still fabulous!

8. October 1, 2012 at 12:49 am #

That is fantastic! So simple and it looks amazing. I think I’ll make one of these for my son’s dress up cabinet. Pinning!

9. Mztee25
    December 10, 2012 at 7:08 pm #

Luv it and its cheap to make and fast I’ve been looking for a coat for my grandson 1st birthday it will be a pirate theme as well thanks so much love it

10. liz
    October 30, 2013 at 9:19 pm #

Oh my goodness I totally made this for my brother who was visting from out of state and wanted to fit our family theme it turned out amazing! Although I used permanent double sided tape to put it together because I didn’t want to mess with glue. Thank you so much!!!!!

1. 12 Halloween Candy Alternatives | Inspired By Family Magazine - October 9, 2012

[...] No-Sew Captain Hook Costume using a t-shirt [...]

2. 50+ Easy No Sew Costumes for Halloween - No Twiddle Twaddle - August 24, 2013

[...] No Sew Captain Hook costume is truly creative from Inspired by Family Magazine. (Can you believe that she made this from a [...]

3. No Sew Costume for Kids: Peter PanInspired by Familia - September 27, 2013

[…] Hooks no sew costume tutorial is here (just as easy) and the baby pirate costume was the easiest to put together: t-shirt, eye patch and […]

4. Halloween Party Favors: Pumpkin Play DoughInspired by Familia - October 9, 2013

[…] No-Sew Captain Hook Costume […]