‘Tis the season for popcorn balls.
I am not sure what it is about Fall and popcorn balls but people love eating them. We are on a semi-health kick in our house or maybe I guess I should say I am on a semi-health kick. Which means my family has no other choice then to follow along since I do all of the grocery shopping and I am the chef, ha, ha, ha. I have been trying lots of great healthy snacks that are really yummy and low in fat, I will be sharing them here over time.
This is my new favorite healthy snack and my boys woofed it down! I made a lot of them so that I could add it to their lunches. Your kids can also help make these easy little snacks. These will definitely go on our dessert table at our annual Halloween party!
You are also going to love my no sticky hands popcorn ball tip below.
Deliciously Healthy Popcorn Balls
1 bag of Popped popcorn (or make it on the stove top which is what we do)
1/4 cp of honey
1/4 cp of peanut butter ( I am not sure if there are any alternatives for those who are allergic to peanuts)
Add ins: cranberries, nuts, coconut, dried peaches or cherries, dark chocolate chips…. We only used the first 2 and added some candy corn to some of them. Remember your add ins will decide how healthy this treat will be.
1. Evenly spread your popcorn on wax paper.
2. In a small saucepan over low heat add your honey and peanut butter. Our honey has a strong flavor so check the strength of your honey and add less if you don’t want it to have a strong honey taste. Constantly stir for 2-3 minutes making sure it doesn’t burn.
3. Immediately drizzle honey and PB mix over popcorn making sure you spread it out evenly.
4. Then sprinkle your add ins over the mix.
5. Grab your wax paper and fold it in half and then do it again to mix it all in.
6. I use little plastic baggies to make my balls. I inserted my hand inside the baggie and grabbed a handful and shaped it into a ball inside the bag. Stuck a popsicle stick in the middle and tied the end of it. I love doing it like this to avoid ending up with stinky hands.
7. The caramelized honey mixture will not totally harden but leave it to cool for about 45 minutes. To ensure that the balls stay intact I wouldn’t mess with it for at least a couple of hours.
Take them out when you are ready to use. You can leave them inside the baggie or place them on a cupcake liner for a pretty display.