In our house, tubs of frosting get eaten with a spoon (by my lean and long husband). So when we were asked to participate in the #CoolWhipFrosting Challenge I jumped on the opportunity. I love to make things from scratch, I really do but when it comes to cakes and cupcakes I like to buy cake mixes. Mostly because there is not a huge difference in taste, especially if you are buying the right brand and doctoring it up to your liking. Below you will see how I doctored up some plain chocolate cake and made it, Chocolate Chip Mint and you will also find out my secret on how to decorate these adorable cupcakes in 5 minutes.
My friend Mikel, our Communications Coordinator, and myself decided to take the Cool Whip challenge. She made some yummy unbirthday cupcakes, see for yourself here. I made some fun “The Witch is Dead” cupcakes.
Headed over to Walmart for the Cool Whip Frosting Yumminess. Note, you will find it in the freezer section next to the ice cream. The store was decked out in Halloween fun, how can you resist coming home and making some Halloween yumminess.
Witches can be scary but there is nothing frightening about these witch cupcakes. In fact, I think they are adorable. I know hard to imagine that there are cute witches, see for yourself. “Ding dong the witch is dead…” was the song that popped in my head so that is what I decided to call them.
I am surprising my boys with this sugar filled after school snack! Don’t judge. We actually don’t do this often usually their afterschool snacks are very healthy so this will be their pre-Halloween treat. Just when you thought baking couldn’t get easier and delish, see the recipe below and be in awe on how this cuteness doesn’t require for you to have a creative bone inside you. If you haven’t already guessed the secret to decorating these in 5 minutes is Cool Whip Frosting! Just place it in a ziploc bag and snip off the end and start decorating. This saves you lots of time.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead Chocolate Chip Mint Cupcakes
You will need:
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix or your favorite recipe
- mint flavoring
- chocolate chips
- Cool Whip Chocolate Frosting
- straw cut in half
- witch shoes- cut out from construction paper
- baby food jars
1. Bake cake mix as directed on box and add mint flavoring, pour into cupcake pan.
2. Once they are done and cool cut them in half.
3. Begin the layering process. Depending on the size of your baby food jar the layers will vary. I had enough room for 3 Layers of cupcakes. Layers: sliced cupcake, frosting, cupcake, frosting, cupcake and end with frosting. I probably should just stick a spoon in the tub for my husband.
4. Assemble your witch. Cut your straw in half or however long you want her legs to extend from the cupcake. Glue the shoes to the straw and insert into cupcakes.
Here are both creative and yummy cupcakes!
Stop by and check out the
- #CoolWhipFrosting Twitter Party on Wednesday, October 24, 2012 at 1pm EST. (RSVP link will be live on Oct 15th.)
I am a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community. This content has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™ and Kraft Cool Whip. #CoolWhipFrosting #CBias #SocialFabric. However, all opinions are my own.