Camping with Kids: Packing Check List and Tips

I married into sweet tea and camping when I said “I do”, to my amazing husband.  Before marrying him I thought I loved camping but after going camping with his family for the first time I realized I was only a nominal fan of camping. His family knows how to camp and they love doing it.  One of our wedding gifts from his father was an enclosed white trailer filled with camping gear.

I told you they love camping. I hope that this list is helpful even though I am sure my father in law would add 50 other things to it. Also, if you’re looking for other helpful camping post here are some of my faves:

-Camping Crafts & Activities For Kids you’ll want to check out our fun ideas.

-Camping Hacks Series

Follow along via your favorite social network so you don’t miss any of our fun family articles :Pinterest Facebook or Twitter and our readers preferred way via email.

This Camping with Kids: Packing Check List does not cover all types of weather camping. It’s the basics for your average camping trip and not your “roughing it”, off the trails camping. Honestly, I am not a list maker, in fact, I like to brag about how I don’t need to make list but for camping and traveling I have found that it’s better to be safe then sorry.

Make a list and check it twice. Also, if you are camping for the first time do a trial run in your backyard or short drive from home.

Here are some of the details that I didn’t have space to add to our Camping Check List printable above (just right click image and copy and paste into your document):

If you are camping with a baby: I would add to bring along:

• diaper rash cream
  • tarp or shower curtain to lay on the ground for them to play
  • if bottle fed:extra bottles
  • pacifier
  • extra onesies
  • baby carrier
  • stroller
  • extra diapers
  • pack and play (those are great for indoor sleeping and to set up outdoors to let them play)
  • johnny jumper
  • bedtime story book
  • Stuffed animal- If they have a blankie or special stuffed animal make sure to bring it along.

Camping with a toddler – I would add bring along some of the things mentioned above plus:

• Bright/noticeable string or tape to set boundaries for them to know where they can’t go pass.
  • Lots of toys -For extra entertainment if they get bored with dirt, rocks and branches.
  • healthy treats and snacks (apples, carrots, oranges, cheerios, trail mix)
  • Let them pack a back pack with whatever toys, coloring books, books they want to take once it’s filled that’s it.
  •  Once again don’t forget that comfort sleeping blanket or stuffed animal they need to fall asleep.

Extra Tips:

• Let them get dirty. Camping is all about getting dirty, so let them. Seriously, if there is ever a time to wander around with dirt on your face and no one thinks twice about it, it’s at a camp site.
  • In a large ziploc baggie -place their clothing for the day so they don’t have to dig everything out of the duffel bag to find socks and undies.

• Whatever you do don’t forget extra clothing. The picture above is exactly why you should pack extra clothing. We have regretted each time we have forgotten to pack extras.
  • Make sure to pack the medicines you need, plus extra.  I always get headaches on car rides so it’s a must that I have some Advil when I get out of the car.  Don’t forget that first aid kit.
  • We forgot toilet paper this last time so we were rationing out the napkins.  Pack extra just in case it gets dropped in the toilet.

Equipment Tips:

• We have a nice big family size tent, all 5 of us fit comfortably in it and there is even room for a pack and play.  It’s an affordable one we got as a gift, you don’t need a big name brand to keep the water out. The features I really like: room divider, the mesh around the sides of the tent that zip up, the tent cover, little hooks inside to hang things, pockets to store stuff and it’s easy to put up even though it’s big.
  • My father in law likes to take hay and place it under the tents for padding. You can also by inflatable pads (not to be confused with inflatable mattress, though this also works) these are easy to store and not as big. The picture below my son is laying on a sleeping pad.

• If it’s cold in your neck of the woods purchase good sleeping bags we have down feathered sleeping bags and I will never go back. When I was in college I camped in a cheap sleeping bag, in North Carolina mountains, in the winter, it was the biggest mistake of my life. Our boys sleeping bags are cute Transformer bags but they are not warm at all. So we usually have to take their down blankets with their sleeping bags. When purchasing those cute sleeping bags make sure you check out how warm they will keep you based on the weather you camp in.
  • It’s important that you pack a camping chair and a flashlight for EACH child.  Otherwise, you will spend your whole time breaking up arguments on who gets to use it next.
  • Fun things to pack: binoculars, compass, insect jars, hammock, family outdoor games like: bocce ball, frisbee, bicycles. We have a bike trailer so we put our baby in it and enjoy the paths.
  • Ice chest is good if you have lots of food that needs to stay cool. Place ice in large baggies (for a large cooler) and freeze to avoid a mess. This way you can also reuse the water.
  • Plastic trash bags are great to use for trash, dirty and wet clothes and for those little ones who can’t stay dry at night. We place the bags under them so if they have an accident at night it doesn’t get everywhere.

• We have a single burner camp stove that is small and we have used at outdoor concerts and camping. It’s a great little light weight piece of equipment. We use it a lot for heating hot water for hot drinks when camping or other outdoor fun. We have made all sorts of meals on it with our little metal cooking pans. Our new favorite for cooking is the Hobo Pie Iron I bought one for my husband for fathers day, such a great gift idea for my camping man. They are amazing to cook breakfast, lunch and dinner on. Make sure to bring cooking spray. The above picture is french toast, roasted apples with berry sauce all made in our pie iron (not the sauce).
  • Kindling: There are lots of things you can use to start a fire-newspaper, lint, twigs, pine needles, potato chips (I read this but never tried it), pine cones…. just to name a few.
  • For mom: I take a good book, running shoes, my bible, magazines and yummy tea!

If you forget toys don’t worry they will figure out how to play with nature.

What are some of your camping with kids tips?

Other articles you may like:

Camping with toddlers

Pine cone crafts

Nature hike craft: Tree frame

Camping Activities for Toddlers

Tags: , , , , ,

63 Responses to “Camping with Kids: Packing Check List and Tips”

1. October 19, 2012 at 7:02 pm #

I agree. We camped for years with our kids and I never could have done it without a list! I still have it in my computer. Visiting from Tattertots and Jello.

• October 19, 2012 at 7:12 pm #

deborah, thanks for taking the time and commenting. my husband is the list maker so it makes it easier for me to remember, lol.

• April 6, 2013 at 11:17 am #

luv al ur gr8 NfO! spec 2 rem r BibLs :-) i thank r dotr 4 sendn this 2 us! tu & mil.

• Anonymous
      April 5, 2013 at 4:50 am #

a few tips I learned along the way : bring Clothesline, extra towels, laundry detergent and quarters, deck of cards, family game, tarp and rope to cover picnic area from sun and rain, plastic (shower curtain) to cover stuff if you get rain, food : prep everything and anything you can ahead of time – marinate meats – (they stay fresher) zip-lock bagged and froze them (the help keep cooler cold and we cooked as meats thawed) – make dips, cooked rice, pasta, sauce w meatballs, potato and macaroni salad (minus mayo), cut up veggies – bagged it all makes for quick prep at the campsite. We used less fuel, ate quicker and enjoyed ourselves more.

2. jtulip
    October 23, 2012 at 7:20 pm #

What a great resource. I would never have thought to bring some of this stuff. Thanks for sharing at Mom’s Library!

3. October 23, 2012 at 8:40 pm #

We haven’t taken our kids camping outside of a cabin yet. I camped in tents in mountains as child and I can’t wait until we are brave enough to do it with our kids! Our oldest is 3.5 years old with our youngest due in February, so one of these years, we’ll brave it out. I’ll keep this post in mind. :)

4. December 3, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

If I don’t make a list I am bound to forget something and most times something important. :)

5. LindseyM
    January 3, 2013 at 11:45 am #

I saw this on pinterest and it got my attention because my family loves camping as well. One thing I wanted to mention was our experiences with packing food and keeping it cold. Coolers are a must obviously, so we have those big long 55 (?) gallon coolers. We found that five blocks of ice (not cubed) fit perfectly across the bottom. Then we put ALL our food in gallon sized ziplock baggies. Its a HUGE space saver! Then we fill our other cooler with drinks. But with the blocks of ice lining the the bottom, it lasts well over a week so you dont ever have to run to the nearest store for more ice every other day :)

• January 20, 2013 at 6:00 am #

Lindsey, Thanks for sharing your tip. We will have to try that next time.

• Anonymous
        April 30, 2013 at 2:37 pm #

I freeze my water in 2L milk jugs, No mess and you can drink the water as it thaws

• Anonymous
      January 27, 2013 at 9:09 am #

Dry ice underneath of ice is perfect for long trips. We take 2 weeks to explore Yellowstone each year and would otherwise spend a fortune keeping my toddlers milk and yogurt cold enough!!!

6. January 4, 2013 at 7:43 pm #

Found you through pinterest. Great post! I need this in the summer!

7. Eleanor
    January 18, 2013 at 2:24 pm #

Loved the idea with the bright string for toddlers. With a two and three year old you can never have to much preparation! Happy camping, thanks for the ideas!!

• January 20, 2013 at 6:02 am #

Eleanor, I know right. We have been camping by rivers or lakes and that always so you can never be too cautious. Happy camping to you too!

8. Anonymous
    January 25, 2013 at 8:31 am #

Two things: One, We always bring glow sticks that are whistles and can hang around the kids neck – for fun and safety. Two, besides warm clothes, I believe less is more. I would never bring toys on a camping trip This is a time for simplicity. My kids have never had a dull moment outdoors without toys. :)

• January 25, 2013 at 8:36 am #

Anonymous,
      I love the glowstick idea. I hate packing tons but our family needs to bring extra’s. Believe me I have tried less and I always regret it but I have 3 kids under 8 so maybe it will change. Yes, simplicity is wonderful!!! Enjoy!

9. Anonymous
    February 12, 2013 at 8:30 am #

Great tips! We bring old phone books with us for kindling. It’s a little more compact that newspaper, and you can tear out pages as you need them!

10. Anonymous
    February 18, 2013 at 6:08 am #

Great check off list! i love list and camping. Something i just learned was to put all food portions in baggies before leaving house, easy open and cook style. No raw extras when taking exact portions and little trash with one baggie. LOVE CAMPING! THanks for the info!

11. Anonymous
    March 23, 2013 at 4:44 pm #

We take a potty chair with us on camping trips. Even though my daughters have both been using the regular toilet for a few years, outhouses can be pretty intimidating for them. Also it can be put in the corner of the tent at night for those middle of the night/first thing in the morning bathroom trips.

12. Alicia
    March 28, 2013 at 1:20 pm #

The hubby and I have been camping separately before we were married and had children, but we want to try it this summer with two kids (one is six and the other is 15 months). This is a great list and I even found the comments helpful! Thank you!

• March 30, 2013 at 6:11 pm #

Alicia, so glad you stopped by and enjoyed the article. Yes, I am so glad our readers have stopped by and left comments.

13. Anonymous
    March 30, 2013 at 7:46 pm #

nature scavenger hunt lists and journals

14. April 9, 2013 at 11:11 pm #

First of all, it’s recognized the power of your stomach muscle groups specifically corresponds to the strength with the muscles inside your lower spine. Also don’t expect to see
    a six-pack by just working out your abs. This motion, when
    done in repetition is great for the abdominal muscle area.

15. Sandie VanDyke
    May 1, 2013 at 9:01 pm #

One thing I love to have at our site is a homemade handwashing station. Take a gallon jug of water and poke a hole with a golf tee near the bottom. The golf tee stays put until you take it out and then it delivers a small stream of water. Put a bar of soap in a leg from old pantyhose and tie it to the jugs handle. The soap never hits the ground so you can scrub hands through the hose and then have your hands free. The whole thing can be tied to a tree or sit on the edge of a picnic table. You’ll never camp without this again!!

• May 2, 2013 at 1:46 pm #

Sandie, Wow, I am so trying this! Thanks

• Vianey Caldwell
        May 23, 2013 at 9:53 pm #

I am so glad I found you on pintrest. We are going camping for our first time ever and all these tips from both your list and the comments are soooo helpful. I am looking forward to outdoor family fun. Thanks for the tips

• May 25, 2013 at 5:54 pm #

Vianey, thx. Enjoy your camping trip. We just got back from one a few hours ago and I love it!

• Anonymous
      June 16, 2013 at 8:48 am #

I’m most def trying this!! Awesome tip, Sandie!

• Angela
        June 19, 2013 at 12:51 pm #

I love to camp and am itching to take my 2 & 3 year old! Hard lesson learned- to NOT use any type of foam coolers-critters eat right through them!:) We also freeze and marinate our meats to cook. What you call a hobo iron we call a pudgie pie maker-great for grilled cheese, ham and cheese, pizza sauce and cheese. Then pie filling in bread and bread, instant pies! Oh, I’m can hardly wait to take my kids! Thanks for all your ideas!

• June 19, 2013 at 4:46 pm #

Angela, Thanks for sharing. I didn’t realize about the foam coolers but it totally makes sense. Thx

16. June 21, 2013 at 8:59 pm #

Great tips! I especially like the idea of hay. Very clever. We hope to do camping as a family, and now I am even more inspired.

17. becca
    June 27, 2013 at 3:07 pm #

Another great tip for little is to tie bells on their shoes so you can hear where they are great for heavily wooded areas

18. Chrystal
    June 29, 2013 at 9:23 am #

Don’t forget if you want to save on broken eggs, crack and place in an air tight container or jar. Makes for easer packing and no worries. Also we always have fried potatoes and onions with our fish if we catch any. Those are also a good item to cut up before hand just have them soaking in watering what ever container before you leave. We also cook our breakfast meats and freeze them before hand makes for a faster meal in the morning.

19. July 6, 2013 at 7:56 pm #

LOVE this! Just wanted you to know it was featured on our site today: http://www.thedatingdivas.com/food/101-camping-tips-ideas/ Thanks so much for sharing!!!

• Inspired by Family Mag
      July 7, 2013 at 6:37 pm #

So glad to hear this post keeps on giving! Thanks for sharing it and linking back to us!

20. November 13, 2013 at 5:28 pm #

Great post! Being prepared really gives a major factor for your camping to be successful. Thank you for sharing your views and experiences. Enjoy life more by spending it in the outdoor!

21. mom of two
    February 9, 2014 at 11:39 pm #

I hate making a huge deal out of camping….mainly I just hate when we get home and I have to put everything away and clean up so instead of packing tons of stuff I try to keep it simple -more like the old days. Yes sleeping bags, tent and extra clothes to keep the kids warm but who needs a sippy cup? In my opinion it’s the perfect time to let them try drinking from a reg cup and if they spill oh well! I try to get meals prepped before we go and all I pack is a old fashioned coffee pot and a frying pan – you can cook any liquids in the coffee pot -even soup! When we do marshmallows we just find a stick. I imagine your way may be more elegant but we go to get away from all the finer things and to just enjoy the scenery and any peace and quiet or children will allow. I spent 10 days “extreme” camping when I was 7 months pregnant- up in northern Saskatchewan several hours from the nearest town. I will say being pregnant is easier than having two toddlers and I don’t plan on going that far again until they are in the double digits!

22. Lori
    March 28, 2014 at 9:57 am #

We make sure we bring sets of towels that are different colors – each person has a color. I’m planning on having some official “camping towels” and monogramming Initials or numbers on them. Also, if it is a site with a community shower – FLIP FLOPS for the showers. I also will be packing items in a big container that can then be used as a bath tub for the infant the next time we go… wish I had done this the last time we went camping with an infant (holy blow out diaper, bat man!) Comfy beanie style hats to wear while you sleep for if it decides to get wicked cold at night (been there – hat was a life saver!) And if you have the time before hand, made a nature scavenger hunt. List a bunch of things they need to find “squirrels, feather, rock, bird, you get the idea” – this is when an older sibling that has the powers to read really helps.

• Inspired by Family Mag
      March 29, 2014 at 8:20 am #

Hi Lori, Thanks for sharing your ideas. I love your tub turned baby bath tub idea. Sounds like you guys have done this a lot. Happy camping! ~mari

23. May 3, 2014 at 11:05 pm #

Hi Mari:

Came across this resourceful list while researching camping ideas for kids.

It’s a very helpul post, and invaluable for inexperienced family campers.

I find the most trying time can be keeping the young ones occupied while travelling to a camping destination for the first time.

It can be a bit of a culture shock to be wrenched away from their computer games and experience the outdoors in the real sense, not just in virtual reality.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers, Leon
    Family Camper recently posted…Kelty Salida 2My Profile

• Inspired by Family Mag
      May 6, 2014 at 11:37 am #

Hi Leon, Glad you stopped by. Yes, our kids love it, no TV and all. :) I think every family should have an outdoor camping experience. ~Mari

1. Getting Required Hunting Camp Supplies - Basic Guide - a1exposureplus.com - November 21, 2012

[...] Camping with Kids: Packing Check List and Tips [...]

2. 2012 Toy Fads: Holiday Shopping For KidszuuzSavvy - December 19, 2012

[...] Camping with Kids: Packing Check List and Tips [...]

3. 35 Family Date Night Ideas | Inspired By Family Magazine - January 31, 2013

[...] Camp Fire- You don’t need to camp to have a camp fire.  We have a fire pit so often after a meal we roast marshmallows and do smores for dessert. If you don’t have a fire pit, use your fire place or even a camping stove would work for the indoors. If you do go camping here are some tips Camping with Kids [...]

4. Top 10 Ways to Keep Kids Creative: School’s Out KBN Series | Blog World. - August 16, 2013

[...] Camping with Kids: Packing Checklist [...]

5. love camping | adventureideaz.com - January 2, 2014

[…] Source […]

6. Camping with Kids: Packing Check List and Tips - rugged life | rugged life - January 21, 2014

[…] Source […]

7. vacation planning… | House of Mayhem & Chaos - January 22, 2014

[…] great camping with kids […]

8. Camping with Kids | campinglivezcampinglivez - February 6, 2014

[…] Source […]

9. Camping with Kids | adventureideaz.com - February 9, 2014

[…] Source […]

10. Camping with Kids: Packing Check List and Tips | adventureideaz.com - February 9, 2014

[…] Source […]

11. 10 Family Friendly Fall Campfire DessertsInspired by Familia - September 19, 2014

[…] I’m a camping expert. Seriously, out of all the things I write about this camping post–Camping with Kids– has been the most popular and Camping with Kids Activities & Crafts coming in second. […]