DIY Valentine’s Day Cards

Contributing Write Kelly Griglione from Notable Nest

Out of all the holidays, it seems like Valentine’s Day is the one where we’re most inspired to make a handmade card for our loved ones. If you’d like to try one this year, but aren’t sure where to start, here are some ideas for you to make your own valentines.

The first card features a simple, handmade heart using nothing but paper, a standard hole punch, and a marker. All supplies you probably have in your home right now. Add a punny ”hole heart” sentiment, and you have a handmade valentine worthy to give your sweetest valentine.

Here’s how:

To make the heart, fold a piece of paper in half and cut out a heart shape. Draw a line around the folded heart about 1/4″ from the edge (see above). This will be your punching guide so you end up with a margin around your heart. Now begin punching through both layers of the folded heart. Do not punch over the line you drew, or along the folded edge.

When you unfold the heart you’ll see all the punches. For any solid space remaining in the middle where the fold is, punch that area. I made a smaller heart to layer behind the hole heart. If you don’t have the exact color of paper you’re looking for, use a white piece of paper and color it with markers like I did for the small heart. The variations in color make it look more interesting. Then just attach both hearts to your card and write a sentiment. This would be a great craft for kids, too. Older kids could do this on their own. For younger kids, cut out the heart and draw the line for them, then let them punch away. How fun to see what they come up with!

Here are some additional cards, both variations on this theme:

This card uses the hole-punched heart as a mask. Simply place the hole-punched heart directly on your card, and sponge ink in the holes. Remove the heart and you’re left with circles in the shape of a heart. You can then stamp a sentiment along the side of the heart, or leave it as-is.

This folk art card can be made if you have a die cutting machine, or a decorative punch.

Place the die on your folded heart and run it through the machine. Washi tape is useful to make sure the die stays in place. If there is enough solid space remaining on your heart, reposition the die on your heart again and run it through the machine.

On another piece of paper, use your markers to color in the background, taking note to change colors depending on where the empty spaces on your heart are. Or, to make it easier, you can back your heart with a solid piece of colored paper. Or you can try backing your heart with a patterned paper. It’s so fun to experiment!

Thanks so much for looking! I hope you’ve gotten some ideas to craft a handmade valentine or two for your loved ones.

Tags: , , , , ,

30 Responses to “DIY Valentine’s Day Cards”

1. January 25, 2013 at 6:42 pm #

So beautiful! Like works of art!! I especially love the hole punch cards!

2. Ardyth
    January 27, 2013 at 5:29 am #

Kelly’s work is awesome – you really should go check out her blog – she’s always coming up with something new and completely creative.

• January 27, 2013 at 9:46 am #

You are incredibly kind, Ardyth … thanks for stopping by!

3. Miriam Prantner
    January 27, 2013 at 11:34 am #

What wonderful cards! I love how complex they look and the fact that they are really simple to make. So clever!

• January 27, 2013 at 10:38 pm #

Thanks so much, Miriam! It’s a pleasure to see you here: )

4. January 27, 2013 at 11:44 am #

Very cool ideas! TFS!

• January 27, 2013 at 10:39 pm #

You’re very welcome, Jessica. TFC! (thanks for coming!)

5. January 27, 2013 at 12:40 pm #

Where to begin with Madame-incredibly- talented Kelly?

Her ability to grab a complex concept and turn it into a perfect and unique card just BLOWS my mind every time I visit her on Notable Nest.

On top of being an incredible designer, she’s also humble and generous.

It doesn’t get any better than that.

Thank YOu for having her on!

• January 27, 2013 at 10:42 pm #

You leave me blushing, Alexandra!! Coming from you that is such an crazy-amazing compliment!

6. January 27, 2013 at 3:23 pm #

Wow, how creative is this! I ‘d love to pick Kelly’s CREATIVE brain some time…but better yet, I will just sit here and ADMIRE! Kelly truly rocks!

• January 27, 2013 at 10:43 pm #

You too, Virginia! That really means a lot to me : )

7. January 27, 2013 at 3:23 pm #

Kelly is super creative. Visiting her blog is a treat and her cards never cease to amaze me

• January 27, 2013 at 10:44 pm #

Aww, thanks Bobby! So happy to see you over here!!

8. January 27, 2013 at 10:48 pm #

Awesome! So very creative!! but then, it’s Kelly, the queen of creativity!

• January 28, 2013 at 8:15 am #

Look who’s talking : ) Thanks, Tasnim, for stopping by!

9. January 27, 2013 at 10:51 pm #

Awesome and fun cards Kelly! Love them all!

10. January 27, 2013 at 10:57 pm #

Yes, it’s true! Kelly ‘rocked’ again. Wonderful ideas, Love the first one, I think we can do it at the Library with kids. Thanks for sharing your creaivity.

• January 28, 2013 at 8:17 am #

Oh, that would be so cool to do these at the library, great idea Loly! Would love to know how it turns out!!

11. January 28, 2013 at 6:16 am #

So fun, so clever, so Kelly! I love the way you break things down to their simplest elements and create something so unique. Your bent towed sharing “the great idea” and keeping things simple is what makes you and your projects so appealing! Can’t wait to hear your big news!

• January 28, 2013 at 8:19 am #

What a thoughtful comment, Suzanne, thanks so much!

12. January 28, 2013 at 11:42 am #

Kelly is truly amazing! Love her out of the box creativity!

• January 29, 2013 at 12:22 am #

You are so kind, JJ! Thanks so much for popping over!

13. January 28, 2013 at 12:35 pm #

What a treat to have our Blogworld genius featured here! Kelly knocks me off my chair every.single.time., which isn’t really nice considering she knows how old and brittle I am! Her creative imagination is unlimited. She is sweet and humble and keeps her ideas down-to-earth so that kids and adults, alike, can learn from her, like with these fun valentines. I think she is only getting warmed up. If you don’t subscribe/follow, you are going to miss out on her incredible journey!!

• January 29, 2013 at 7:50 am #

Darnell’s way with words is second to none, and sure knows how to make a girl smile! So glad you stopped by : )

14. March 26, 2013 at 4:25 am #

Nice post. I was checking continuously this blog
    and I am impressed! Very useful info specifically the
    last part :) I care for such information a lot.

I was seeking this particular information for a long time.
    Thank you and best of luck.

1. Creative Love Note Ideas – Project #1 | Inspired By Family Magazine - January 28, 2013

[...] DIY Valentines Day Cards for (grown ups too) [...]

2. Valentine’s Day Activities for the Family- Recipes, crafts, home decor, kid activities, diy… | Inspired By Family - February 12, 2013

[...] 12. DIY Valentine’s Day Card [...]

3. 10 D.I.Y Valentine Day Cards! | Pinvestigation: the action of investigating a pin, post or product - February 6, 2014

[…] love you a hole heart!  The “I love you  a hole heart” card idea comes from the blog, Inspired by familia, –very […]