Easy Egg Muffin {healthy to go breakfast}

egg muffins

I am always looking for easy to go healthy breakfast meals for our family. Our mornings are usually pretty rushed and sometimes downright chaotic. My goal is to maintain some sanity in the morning so our boys leave our home ready to face the world not starting off their day upset or frustrated. Though the reality is  sometimes we have those days when they don’t want to wear something in particular or they woke up on the wrong side of the bed and they have a big tantrum which makes them late to breakfast and then rushing out the door to make it to school on time… well if you have kids you may be very familiar with what I am talking about.

My family devoured these Healthy Egg Muffins. I made a dozen and between 3 growing boys and my husband I only got to eat one. Next time I will double the recipe.  I say these are healthy because you have veggies, protein and dairy all in one bite! You can substitute the eggs for healthier options like egg beaters or just egg whites or organic eggs. I am amazed at all the options we have out there for eggs. This is great for anyone on a protein diet in that case use all 12 eggs, he, he, he.

egg muffin recipe

Egg Muffin (Healthy) Recipe

• 6 eggs
  • 1/2 cp of milk (skim)
  • 1/4 cp chopped onions
  • 1/2 cp of chopped ham (if you’re not watching your waistline use bacon instead)
  • 1 med size shredded zucchini
  • small hand full of spinach, chopped
  • 1/2 cp shredded cheese (light)

Mix all of the ingredients above in a large bowl.

Spray muffin pan w/ oil.

Bake 350 for 15-20 minutes.

Lesson learnt: Do not fill the muffin tins to the rim.

egg muffins

Tags: , , , ,

16 Responses to “Easy Egg Muffin {healthy to go breakfast}”

1. Linda
    February 8, 2013 at 4:12 pm #

My kids will love these. Curious what you mean by healthier options than eggs.

• February 8, 2013 at 4:36 pm #

Hi Linda, good question. I couldn’t remember the name of those eggs but I just did and updated the post. It’s egg beaters, organic eggs, egg whites only…. I have never made them with these so do it at your own risk, lol. Let me know if you do egg whites. I am curious how they will turn out.

• Linda
        February 8, 2013 at 5:31 pm #

Thx. I would not omit the yolks. That is where the nutrition is. That why we are so happy to find a recipe like this. A great way to pack in more eggs on the way to school in the morning! Thanks. You should check out the new info about cholesterol. Dr. Oz talked about it on his show. “The Cholesterol Myth” by two drs that I can’t recall now.

2. February 8, 2013 at 5:45 pm #

Linda, I wouldn’t either. Good to know about the cholesterol myth. I will have to read up on that. Thx and enjoy!

3. Kim Spencer
    February 10, 2013 at 8:51 am #

I wonder if you could make ahead and heat up in microwave.

• February 10, 2013 at 10:47 am #

Kim, Yes, most definitely. Just refridgerate and then pull out and microwave it.

4. February 15, 2013 at 8:25 pm #

{Melinda} I am SO making these, Mari! My kids would love them … and they are not easy to please! :)

5. Piper
    June 8, 2013 at 1:05 pm #

I make a ton of these on the weekend and freeze them. Yes I said it freeze them. They are just like a crustless quiche so why not freeze them. I put them into a ziplock bag in the freezer.

6. June 18, 2013 at 10:37 am #

I’m excited to try this recipe!

7. November 2, 2013 at 4:05 am #

Hurrah! At last I got a webpage from where I be capable of in fact obtain
    helpful information regarding my study and knowledge.
    credit card application 0 apr recently posted…credit card application 0 aprMy Profile

8. January 11, 2014 at 11:08 am #

It’s really very complicated in this active life to listen news
    on Television, therefore I only use web for that
    purpose, and get the hottest information.
    recommended dosage of garcinia cambogia recently posted…recommended dosage of garcinia cambogiaMy Profile

9. January 20, 2014 at 2:35 am #

Hey there, You’ve done an incredible job. I will definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends.
    I’m confident they will be benefited from this site.
    wordpress.com recently posted…wordpress.comMy Profile

10. January 31, 2014 at 11:33 am #

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be
    really something that I think I would never
    understand. It seems too complicated and very broad
    for me. I’m looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
    Aleisha recently posted…AleishaMy Profile

1. Kid Friendly Veggies: Italian Zucchini Boats | Inspired By Family - February 21, 2013

[...] in some veggies into meals.  This was our recent veggie sneak attack: Shamrock smoothie and our Egg Muffins {Healthy b-fast to [...]

2. Easy Healthy Turkish Egg Breakfast Recipe « WHOLE LIVING WEB MAGAZINE - March 1, 2013

[...] Easy Egg Muffin {healthy to go breakfast} [...]

3. Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie {Greek or Regular Yogurt?} | Inspired By Familia - March 8, 2013

[...] and they won’t even know they are enjoying veggies: Strawberry & Beet Smoothie,  Egg Muffins, Pina Colada Smoothie, Italian Zuchinni Boats…. and much [...]