Do you have a dinosaur lover at home? Here are 6 fun dinosaur activities that will get your kids moving and having fun! Plus some have modifications to make them educational if you wish. We played them at a birthday party. You may see a few more post about dinosaurs on here since we recently celebrated my son’s 6th birthday with a Dinosaur Party!
6 Dinosaur Activities for Kids
1. Dinosaur Tail Tag– This was really fun and the kids wanted to keep playing it over and over and over again.
How to play: Pick one child to be it, he will be the dinosaur. The dinosaur goes out and tags the kids and once they are tagged they become the “dinosaur’s tail” by holding on to the “dinosaurs” back. The “dinosaur” does this until he tags everyone and the tail just keeps getting bigger. The challenging part is that the tail can’t break off so they have to stay together to tag others. The tail also has the power to tag people while holding on to the dinosaur.
2. Dinosaur Tracks Activity– Have the kids jump on each track and see how many human jumps it takes to get to the next track. Or you can add numbers or colors to the track and have them call it out as they jump on it.
3. Explorer’s Excavation Site: fill a box with Sand and add all sorts of goodies to it. You can also make it educational and add letters of the alphabet and have them hunt for the vowels or add numbers…. I made bones and had them find those and dinosaurs, dino stickers and candy.
4. Dino Egg Drop– Pick 2 dinosaurs and have them “race” to the other side with an egg (use plastic Easter eggs for less of a mess) on a spoon without dropping the egg. You can also put words on the eggs and have them find a certain word and then race to the end with the correct word.
5. Erupting Volcano– The kids LOVED watching this. I think I made it erupt about 10 times–get the details here.
In the midst of the wonderful chaos that comes with throwing a party in your home, I poured the liquid into the volcano and the kids were waiting with much anticipation and NOTHING happened. DUH, because I accidentally used water. My husband the scientist just laughed at me. As you can see from the picture I finally made it work.
6. Dinosaur Eggs- DIY Excavation & Egg Hatching Activity – This was so much fun, the kids got really into it.
Another fun activity is give them dinosaur names. I totally had that in mind but I forgot to incorporate it into our day. They can be made up names, real dinosaur names or a mix of their name and a dino name for example Brotosaurus Brad.
Here are some more fun dinosaur post (just click on image):