Oh, how I love Mexican inspired flavored food! Chipotle Black Bean Bacon Burgers with Mango Salsa is a fiesta in your mouth. The spicy smoked chipotle and the sweet mango come together to create an explosion of flavor. My oldest took a quick bite before everyone sat down as he always does, I think he wants to alert everyone whether the food is amazing or just good. He is my child who still makes noises at every bite, so after he took his first bite of his burger he says, “Mmmm, mmmm, wow this is really good mommy.” And once we all sat down to join him we all chimed in with the same response.
It’s an easy and healthy meal to prepare and you can freeze extra patties for later meals and just reheat when you’re ready to fix them.
Chipotle Black Bean Bacon Burgers with Mango Salsa
- 2 cans of black beans
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 large red bell pepper
- 1/2 a medium-sized onion
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (If you just use 2.5 tbl of adobo sauce it’s not as spicy but with all the flavor)
- 1 lime (juice)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cp wheat germ
- 1/4 cp cornmeal
- 1/3 cp of Monterrey or cheddar cheese
- 3 slices of bacon
- optional cheddar cheese
- 1 large mango chopped
- 1/4 cp diced onions
- handful of cilantro chopped
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1/4 cp diced tomatoes
1. On a hot griddle or pan roast the onions, garlic and red bell peppers.
2. Once they are soft and slightly brown remove.
3. Place in your food processor or blender the 2 cans of beans, chipotle, lime juice, wheat germ and corn meal with the roasted veggies.
4. Place in freezer for about 15 minutes to harden up the mixture or if you’re in a hurry go ahead and use as is but it will just take longer to flip.
5. In a large bowl mix the beans mixture, egg, cheese, cilantro and spices.
6. Take out of freezer and place a spoonful over a hot griddle on med heat. Shape them into patties. Wait until you can slide the spatula under the patty without it sticking to it. If you can’t don’t attempt to flip otherwise you will end up with a big mess. About 10 minutes.
You don’t want to skip the mango salsa step because it gives the burger an amazing flavor but if you’re not into sweet and savory then place your patty on the bun with a slice of cheddar and bacon.
1. Chop your ingredients and place them in a bowl. Sprinkle salt and squeeze the juice of 1/2 the lime over it.
Layer your burger with cheddar, patty, lettuce, Mango salsa and bacon on top! Enjoy!