I am not much of a donut eater however, I am a huge fan of pumpkin. So when I saw a recipe that said PUMPKIN baked donut holes, I had to try it. I used my healthy muffins recipe and a couple of donut hole recipes online and came up with my version of this delicious Fall yumminess!
Please note when I use the word healthier and use it in the sense that they are healthier than most donuts. It’s not deep fried. It has oats, wheat germ, pumpkin and it only uses 1 egg. I personally don’t mind my kids enjoying these healthier donut versions and they are truly delicious especially covered in butter and cinnamon and sugar. So enjoy them as is or roll them in some sugar!
Pumpkin Donut Holes (healthier)
1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cp quick oats
- 1/4 cp wheat germ
- 2tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp pumpkin spice
Mix the above ingredients in a bowl.
- 1/3 cp vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 milk (skim)
- 3/4 cp pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cp brown sugar
Mix the above ingredients in a separate bowl.
1. Then add the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients to create dough.
2. Using a mini muffin pan that is lightly greased scoop in dough. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until toothpick comes out clear.
You can enjoy them just as they are or you can cover them in sugar and cinnamon or caramel icing!
Sugar & Cinnamon Coating
- 1/4 cup sugar or for a chunkier coating do 1/2 white and 1/2 brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon &1/2 tbsp. pumpkin spice
- 3 tbl butter melted
Mix sugar and cinnamon in one bowl and place melted butter in separate bowl.
Dip donut in butter and roll in sugar and cinnamon.
Carmel Icing drizzle
Caramel (apple dip kind)
1 -2 tspn milk
1. Mix caramel and 1 tspn. If you don’t want it too thick add more milk.