This month as we usher into the season of joy, service, gratitude, family and yummy food let’s take a few moments with our kids to instill a value that they will take them a long way in life: gratitude. This Thanksgiving Countdown & Gratitude Activity will make it easy to practice a month of gratitude.
Do you know of anyone who is constantly complaining?
Who points out the negative in everything?
I always wonder when exactly did this pattern begin(it’s the counselor in me). Did it start young? Did something happen? Was it gradual? How do their families tolerate the cloud of negativity every day?
I have a little guy who is prone to negativity and I hope and pray that as we work on being thankful that he will slowly replace that negativity with thankfulness. I love to hear my children being thankful, it’s music to my ears and I am sure most parents feel the same way.
I made this no sew countdown calendar from burlap and I used these Gratitude prompts to insert inside each pocket or you can use this list here and write out each prompt on small sheets of paper. This one is my most recent one with Scripture: here.
How to make your own Gratitude Advent Calendar
All you need is:
- a large piece of burlap
- wooden dowel
- paper bags
- gratitude prompts (see above for links)
1. Lay your bags out first on top of the burlap, before you cut the burlap. This gives you a visual of how it will look before you glue it. Here I share 5 Ways to Keep Burlap from Unraveling.
2. Number the paper bags and glue them on.
3. For the wooden border. I used an old piece of wood from a crate and just glued the burlap to it and it worked just fine. You can also use a wooden dowel and glue it onto the fabric.
4. Fill each bag in with your gratitude prompts I share two links above. As a family we will take turns filling in the prompt at dinner time but you can take them with you wherever you are and do them in the car, while waiting in line…
Note: I made a simple flag banner from Fall colored paper for the top. I use this for different holidays so I just change up the banner to go with the holiday. I love that it’s multi-purposed!
Free Gratitude Prompts:
-Prompts in list form: 21 Days of Gratitude Family Prompts–
-Gratitude Prompt cards! Click Here
I just created some prompts in Spanish! Click HERE
– Gratitude Prompts with Scripture