Don’t just be the memory maker but be in the memories they are making. This is something that has been playing over and over in my head since the beginning of the year.
I had no idea, how hard it is for me to just–play.
Put the scrapbooks down. Put the camera down. Put your phone away. Let go of your plans you came up for them. Let go of your schedule. Now dive in and immerse yourself in their play.
The other day instead of being the one behind the camera, I asked my husband to take pictures of us. Instead of coming up with the ideas and staying behind the scenes to make sure it all turned out as planned, I let go of my plans. And I got in the midst of the fun.
This is hard for people who have “doer” personalities.
I just played.
I took in their laughter.
I breathed in the moment, the sunshine, the smiles, the questions…all etched in my heart.
It was simply beautiful.
I love my familia. They truly inspire me and give me the courage to step outside of my comfort zone. I must say I truly enjoyed not being the memory maker and being in the memories they are making.
If you also struggle with this, I suggest you try doing this. I know it’s hard but it’s worth it.
- Be in the moment.
- Stop overthinking everything or critiquing what it should look like.
- Be flexible and when your plans fall through–let it go.
- Let them lead. If you have a plan but they are wanting to do something else, let them.
- Hand the camera over to your spouse or friend. We like to hide behind the camera but we need to stop hiding.
- Just play with them and sneak in some hugs and kisses while you’re at it.