Don’t let the title– “Belgian Waffles” scare you away. It sounds fancy schmancy but they are actually really easy to make with this recipe I’m sharing below. Turning our Belgian Waffles into waffle sticks is a big hit with our kids and perfect for our little familia trying to get out the door in the morning.
The only way I eat pancakes or waffles is if they are in some way healthy but yummy. My parents never served us sugar filled breakfasts so I find it hard now as an adult to enjoy a pancake or waffle full of syrup with chocolate chips in the morning. It just feels more like dessert but I’ll be more than happy to enjoy it later for dessert.
Well, believe it or not these are healthy!
I love to make this for my kids because they have no idea how healthy they really are. You can keep them whole but in the morning we are on the go, so the waffle sticks work best for us because no utensils are required. These are healthy but remember the more stuff you add to it like powdered sugar, chocolate chips the further away you go from a healthy breakfast.
Healthy Chocolate Belgian Waffles
- 1 cup flour
- 2/4 cups of oats
- 1/4 cup of flaxseed meal
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 3-4 tbsp brown sugar (I don’t eat mine with syrup so I like to add more sugar)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2-3 tbsp Cacoa (this is healthier than cocoa but use whatever you have)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- optional: chocolate chips
1. Mix all of the ingredients above in a large mixing bowl.
2. Follow the directions on your waffle iron to make these. Ours takes about 3-4 minutes and we don’t add any oil to the iron.
3. Enjoy with our healthy peanut sauce below.
Healthy Peanut Sauce
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt or plain yogurt
- 2 tbspns creamy natural peanut butter
- 1 tblspn maple syrup (I’ve also improvised by using brown sugar instead)
- 1 tblspn milk
Mix all of the ingredients above in a bowl and serve over your waffles! If your sauce is too thick add more milk.
Oh and I shared our Simple Birthday Tradition: Waffle birthday cake that we’ve done for years with the kids and they love it!