Fun Fall Snack for Kids: Olive (I love) Owls! Healthy Treat
I don’t always have time to make our boys food fun but we are still enjoying lazy days and I was up for the challenge when I was asked by California Ripe Olives to come up with something fun! I think this O-live (I Love) Owls! edible craft is so fun and not to mention healthy.
I called my boys to the kitchen to help me prep for our edible Olive Owl treats. We sliced olives, carrots and we lined up ham and cheese slices–for our owl creation. My boys were besides themselves, waiting with much anticipation to make their own food art creation. I made a sample before hand just to make sure what I had visualized–actually would work.
It started off as a snack but because it was so close to lunch time we enjoyed it for lunch and added hummus and ham to make it bit more hearty.
What you’ll need:
- Olives – California Ripe Black Olives
- Cheese: Mozzarella and/or cheddar
- Crackers (we used whole wheat)
- Carrots – for the nose
- Ham slices for the body
- Optional: Hummus
1. Take your cracker and spread hummus over most of it.
2. Then place your ham over the lower part of the cracker on top of the hummus.
3. Next, take your cheese slices and using a small rounded cup or cookie cooker cutout rounded cheese slices. Or just use square pieces. Put the slices over the ham.
4. Add California Ripe Black olive slices for the eyes and carrots for the nose!
I never think about how fun and kid friendly olives can be, as you can see, California Ripe Olives provide a pop of color, texture, and flavor to a variety of dishes—including fun and delicious food art.
Oh and you can win an Amazon Kindle Fire HDX! Stop by and follow California Ripe Olives on Facebook, visit the custom tab, and enter once per day for the chance to win an Amazon Kindle Fire HDX. Sweepstakes runs August 18 – September 12, 2014.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.