We love playing with play dough at our house. Before figuring out how to make no cook play dough I thought really hard about making play dough that involved the stove. Taking a pot out seemed like a big commitment, ha.
But now that I’ve been using our Awesome & Easy No Cook Play Dough I don’t mind making it with them because it really is easy and quick. I made three batches of no cook Kool-Aid play dough with the kids the other day in less than 20 minutes.
Play dough is one of those great open ended activities that will keep my kids busy for at least an hour. I love listening to their little imaginations run wild as they cook up some burgers for me or make a giant monster with the play dough.
The recipe I share above makes a lot but sometimes (depending on the food coloring I use) I have a hard time dividing it up to make the different colors so here’s my new go to recipe that’s perfect for when you don’t want that much dough. Or when you’re needing to make lots of different colors.
My toddler and I made three batches of this. Note that there is boiling water involved so make sure your little ones get help with pouring the hot water. Mateo loved adding the glitter and I added peppermint extract to the white play dough. I can’t get enough of the peppermint scent dough! This is also perfect for your child’s classroom gifts or a party favor but you’ll want to use the othe recipe I shared above for big batches :).
Christmas Glitter Play Dough
- 1 cup flour (add more if needed)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 tablespoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup of boiling water
- food coloring (whatever color you wish)
- 3 drops of glycerine (it’s not necessary to add this but it does add shine to the dough)
1. Add your food coloring, oil & glycerine to the boiling water and set aside.
2. Mix the other ingredients in a bowl and add 1/2 cup of your colored water to it. Add more flour if it’s too sticky. Mix more and add more flour if it’s still too sticky.
We made an Alphabet Christmas Tree with the green play dough and candy canes using our play dough mats, with the red and white peppermint scented play dough. I share over in that article how to enjoy some fun preschool activities using the Christmas play dough.