Homeschooling three kids all at different levels and needs has definitely proven to be a challenge for me. Though I’ve gotten into a groove since the beginning of the school year, I’m still not at the point where I would say–it’s easy. But I must admit my favorite part of homeschooling is teaching preschool.
Preschool activities are so fun and I especially love watching my little mans excitement for learning. My toddler thinks I’m the best teacher in the world even though some days we don’t have preschool because I just can’t squeeze it into our 2nd & 4th grade homeschool schedule. Or maybe that’s why he thinks I’m the best teacher because we don’t have school everyday, ha.
Look at his expressions and the fun he was having.
Since, it’s getting close to Valentine’s day I thought we would go with a heart theme for this game. You can do it with any theme and it worked great as a Valentine’s Day Toddler Game.
Educational Activity for Kids: Letter Recognition Game
- Construction paper
- laminate paper or contact paper
1. If you’re going with a heart theme you’ll need to cut out a heart from a red piece of construction paper and glue it to another piece of paper. If you’re going to use it a lot then use a thicker paper to glue your heart on.
2. On the heart write the alphabet. Since we are working on getting him to recognize his capital letters, that’s what I wrote on the heart.
3. Laminate the heart or use contact paper. We used contact paper.
4. Then on your labels write the capital letters or lower case letters, it just depends what you want to practice. I wrote both the capital letters on one set and the lower case on another.
Matching – have him match the letters on the labels to the letters on the mat.
Timed review – You can see how many letters he match in 3 minutes.
I had him say the letters on the labels throughout the whole time he was trying to find the match, to help it stick. I also had him watch Leapfrogs Letter Factory video and as they went through each letter I had him find the label on his mat and remove it.