Adding refreshing, healthy juice or smoothie drinks to your day doesn’t have to be an all or nothing type of thing. I like to enjoy them at different times of the day. Sometimes I have one at breakfast but I usually have one as a midmorning or afternoon snack to get me through the day. Not too long ago I shared with you my Coconut Cucumber Lime Shake it has protein and the ingredients are more simplified.
The ingredients vary depending on my mood but I usually include the following: whey protein, veggies and fruits. The best healthy combo is to add more veggies than fruit. If I’m making it with my family in mind, I leave out the protein. Sometimes if my ingredients are veggies like cucumber, kale, celery I’ll use a fruit that is more intensely sweet like a banana or pineapple.
Also, if you’re trying to eat less sugar keep in mind, though fruit is healthy and it’s naturally sweet it does contain sugar which can spike your blood sugar. So you wouldn’t enjoy twice a day a pineapple, banana and beet smoothie since these fruits are known to be high in sugar.
Here’s some research I’ve gotten off the web but please do your own research as I’m not an expert in this area.
- Pineapple is known for its inflammation-reducing enzyme bromelain
- Cucumber – cleanses the kidneys
- Celery – helps relieve inflamed areas and with weight loss and high in fiber
- Kale – A great source of omega 3’s your body needs.
- Avocado- high in fiber, the good fat keeps you full longer, protein, rich in vitamin K & B
- Berries – antioxidants, prevent cell damage of eyes
- Pear- high in fiber
- Coconut butter /oil – helps boost metabolism, promotes healthy skin and hair
- Apples – high in fiber
- Ginger – improves digestion
- Mint – cleansing agent, cools the palette and stimulates the senses
- Lemon/ Lime – Vitamin C, cuts sweet as well as bitter flavors
- beets – help lower blood pressure, high in vitamin C and fiber, stamina booster
Drink your juice after you make it and don’t let it sit in the fridge or counter. You want those active enzymes in your body and if you wait too long the enzymes begin to oxidize.
Refreshing Coconut Cucumber Limeade
- 1/2 Cucumber
- 2-3 pineapple rings
- 1 cup coconut water
- 2 celery stalks
- small piece of ginger 1 inch of the root
- juice of 1 lime
- handful of spinach
- optional- ice cubes
1. Place all of the above ingredients in a blender.