July 4th is upon us! But here in our neck of the woods, you wouldn’t even know it. There are no fireworks, no red, white and blue, no flags proudly waving in yards… nothing. Oh and my favorite, no parades to sit out on the curb of the street and watch as you keep cool with an ice cream cone that’s dripping down your fingers.
Which of course all of this makes sense because we are in South America. But alas as a global nomad family, we make it our priority to keep these kinds of holidays from our home country alive even if those around us have absolutely no idea why our whole family is decked out in our best red, white blue summer clothing.
Every year around this time of the year most of our expats friends head back to the U.S.. So our little community is desolate, except the few of us that have been left behind. We usually invite our local friends and have a grand ol’ time.
July 4th Dessert: Rice Krispie Star Wands
- Rice Krispie treats –Here’s a recipe we love and use.
- lollipop sticks or medium size wooden skewers
- red, white and blue sprinkles
- red ribbon
- star cookie cutter
1. Take your cookie sheet of rice krispie treats when they are soft and take your red, white and blue sprinkles and make lines of each on your treats. Ignore how I sprinkled mine, I’m not sure why but I would suggest to just make lines from one side to the other alternating colors. Place in fridge to solidfy for about 20 minutes.
2. Then take your star shape cookie cutter and cut out your shapes once the treats have hardened.
3. Then tie ribbon around your sticks and place through one end of your stars.
This treat was a big hit in our house! If you have a July 4th gathering you can have a little area where guest can decorate their own wands with sprinkles, frosting… A great party idea that didn’t take tons of your time to put together.
Here’s some more fun: