I’ve been trying to find alternatives to bread. Mostly gluten free alternatives that I can enjoy at breakfast so I came across an image with an open faced savory waffle egg sandwich and I immediately knew I had to try this.
These savory waffles are gluten free and they are the perfect combination of crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. I’ve been using bean flour a lot lately because it packed with protein and keeps me satisfied until lunch time.
Savory Zucchini Parmesan Waffles
- 1 cup bean flour -garbanzo bean flour is mild in flavor (if in Ecuador I’ve used Haba Flour)
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 1 c. whole milk or almond milk
- 1/4 c. coconut oil melted or avocado oil or butter
- 1.5 cups of grated zuchinni
- 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
1. Mix all of the above ingredients in a bowl.
2. Whip just until it’s just mixed.
3. Pour your batter onto your waffle iron. Our iron has 4 squares so I use 1/4 cup for each square. Again you’ll need to figure out what works best for your iron.
4. Place on a rack and continue until your batter is gone or you refrigerate batter. I’ve only place my batter in fridge for a day so I’m not sure how long it will keep.
I turned my waffles into an open egg and bacon sandwich and it was delicious! It also made me think that this is easier to make than making gluten free bread so I’ve been using it as my bread.