I’ve been on a salad kick ever since we got back from our vacation. So I’ve challenged myself to have one salad per day for a meal. I’ve been trying lots of simple and yummy combinations and this strawberry bacon & pecan salad is my all time favorite.
Here in Quito we can get strawberries all year long and they for the most part always absolutely amazing and not to mention inexpensive. I bought a whole flat of delicious strawberries for $7. The colors in this bowl were just too beautiful not to photograph.
This Strawberry Bacon & Pecan Salad is simple and you can even buy the candied pecans and bacon bits if you’re not wanting to turn on the stove. I made ours from scratch so I share the recipe below. You can use which ever dressing you like but I really enjoyed a simple balsamic vinaigrette with it.
I could seriously eat a salad every day given the right combinations, and this my friends is the right combo! It has fresh strawberries, crisp bacon, candied pecans, crunch purple onions with light balsamic vinaigrette drizzled over it! Amazing!
Strawberry Bacon & Pecan Salad
- Bag of romaine lettuce
- 8 fresh strawberries
- 3 bacon slices
- 1/2 small purple onion
- sprinkle with feta cheese or your favorite
- balsamic vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup pecans
- 1-2 tbl brown sugar or brown sugar substitute
1. Cook your bacon until it’s just right. Remove bacon and use a napkin to gather the grease from it.
2. Then add your pecans to the bacon grease and 1-2 table spoon of brown sugar. Move the mixture so the pecans all get completely covered. Cook for about 2-3 minutes. It won’t take long since the pot was just hot and so is the bacon grease.
3. Then in a bowl add your lettuce, sliced strawberries, sliced onions. Toss.
4. Then add your strawberries and bacon to the top. Toss and add your balsamic vinaigrette dressing.
5. Sprinkle with feta and enjoy!
If you’re on Trim Healthy Mama or sugar free diet you can use a sugar free brown sugar made with a sweetener of your choice. Here’s a recipe I found for a brown sugar substitute.