So I’ve been on a mission for a year now trying to find the perfectly thin gluten free crepe recipe. I took a break after many failed attempts and disgusting results which I ate. Or I should say forced myself to eat because I can’t bear the thought of being wasteful with food.
Well, in our travels this summer in Italy we stayed at a quaint family owned hotel up on the lush green mountain and every day they served us fresh warm crepes with a container of nutella on the side. Every morning we had a fresh, hot breakfast buffet and we’d sit out on the veranda overlooking the Mediterranean sea (pictured above). And I wondered why I had gained 5 pounds this summer. On the bright side, I did leave this beautiful country inspired to continue with my gluten free crepes experiment when I got back.
I think I finally found “the recipe” after mixing and playing with different ingredients countless times. This recipe is light, thin and delicious. Now mind you these are not going to turn out exactly like the ones in Italy because they weren’t gluten free and I’m not a European trained chef, but they sure are good!
Without further ado, here is my favorite no fail gluten free crepes.
No Fail Gluten Free Crepes THM friendly recipe
ingredients: Makes 10-12 crepes
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream (I’ve also used almond milk and it worked fine)
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of whey protein powder
- 1 tablespoon of melted coconut oil or butter
- optional if you’re making these sweet–add a sprinkle of cinnamon and 1 tbl Pyure sweetener
- Mix all of the above ingredients in a bowl. Mix well, making sure the lumps are out.
- In a hot medium sized pan with nonstick spray on it, add 1/4 cup of the crepe mix. What I usually do is pick up my pan and roll the mix around the pan so it evenly covers the pan and I don’t end up with fat crepes that look like pancakes.
- Watch the mixture on your pan start to bubble and the ends firm up that’s when you should turn them over. Don’t worry you’ll mess up a few times but then you’ll get the hangout of it by your second or third crepe.
The best thing for me is to pick a pan the size of the crepe that way I end up with a perfect circle crepe. My favorite way to enjoy these crepes with is my healthy chocolate sauce, greek lemon yogurt yumminess stuffed inside with berries! No guilt here!!
I usually store them in a ziplock bag in the fridge and enjoy them through out the week for breakfast or as a quick snack. The toppings and combinations are endless! That’s what I love about crepes they are so versatile, you can have them for breakfast, lunch, dinner and even serve them at parties.
Oh, if you’re on THM plan you need to watch your toppings if you want to stay at an S meal.
Here’s my Facebook Live video showing you how to roll the mixture in the pan and some other tips!