Thank you Culver’s for sponsoring this post.
What if our kids’ summer could be magical, without spending countless hours planning activities, summer camps, and outings for them, but because they were spreading kindness!
It was another normal day in the summer. We were off again to one of our fun activities. I told the kids we could get a fun drink while we were out. I went through the drive thru to get our drinks because the kids were at each other’s throat fighting about everything and I was in a hurry.
As I got to the checkout window the lady informed me that the person in front of me paid for our drinks.
We were all in awe! I wanted to cry not because we didn’t have the money to pay for it ourselves. It was the mere act of someone taking the time to show us kindness.
At that moment something clicked.
We forgot about, “I’m bored. My brother hit me. Do we have to go the museum again?” We knew we wanted to do the same for others this summer.
I knew I needed to give my kids opportunities to give back.
A summer of “give me, give me” or “What are you planning for us so we are not bored? What activities are we doing today?” only plants seeds of entitlement.
I want them to see someone’s face light up like ours did when we received this a random act of kindness. I want them to know that they can change the world one person at a time by being kind.
You Can Still Have Family Vacations
There’s nothing wrong with day camps, summer activities or family vacations!
We still go on family vacations but we sprinkle our summer with random acts of kindness so that our kids have the opportunity to share some of their own magical kindness with others.
The acts of kindness give them an opportunity to say thank you in their own little way.
Try it At Home!
Try it! The acts of kindness aren’t just aimed at strangers. You can practice this within your family. For example, a sibling can use their allowance money to take another one out for Culver’s frozen custard. I highly recommend you try the Blackberry Cobbler fresh frozen custard it was amazing! It’s creamy, cool and delicious!
Or you can write a coupon for your sibling that says, “Good for one free cool treat at your favorite restaurant!”
You’ll be amazed at what your children will discover about others and the world around them when they are serving and giving of themselves through acts of kindness.
Here’s our summer random acts of kindness bucket list to inspire you to share the magic of kindness this summer.
Summer Acts of Kindness Bucket List
- Leave an encouraging note inside a library book for someone to find.
- Make fun bookmarks and leave them inside books at your local library.
- Go on a walk in your neighborhood or park and pick up trash along the way.
- Write a letter to your sibling and let them know why you’re thankful for them.
- Offer to wash your neighbor’s car.
- Volunteer at a soup kitchen.
- Make homeless kits and keep them in the car to give away.
- Hold the door for the person behind you at public places today.
- Smile and say hello to your cashier.
- Go to Culver’s restaurant and treat a stranger to a frozen custard.
- Donate gently used clothes or toys to a charity.
- Leave “kind words” chalk messages on your neighborhood sidewalk or at the park.
- Hand out cold drinks to your community helpers like the mailman, collectors of trash…
- Do a chore for your siblling without them knowing.
- Choose to be thankful all day!
- Find a kid’s club or daycare where you can read to their children during quiet time.
- Donate gently used books to a daycare center in need.
- Give out compliments today!
- Make a treat for a friend or neighbor.
- Tape change to a parking meter
- Help your family make dinner.
- Tell someone how much you appreciate them today.
- Treat your sibling or friend to Culver’s custard!
- Volunteer to read at a nursing home.
- Teach someone something!
If you’re looking for ways to share acts of kindness with your own family try one of Culver’s new Flavors of the Day, like Blackberry Cobbler Fresh Frozen Custard. Culver’s is unveiling six (6) new Flavors of the Day in 2018 on the 10th of each month from now through October:
- May 10 – Cappuccino Cookie Crumble. Culver’s debuted this flavor last month. Use the flavor locator to find out when it will be the Flavor of the Day at your local Culver’s!
- June 10 – Blackberry Cobbler
- July 10 – Chocolate Pretzel Crunch
- August 10 – Peanut Butter Cookie Dough
- September 10 – Dark Chocolate Decadence
- October 10 – Peanut Butter Salted Caramel
In addition to serving Chocolate and Vanilla Frozen Custard, every day Culver’s restaurants offer a different Flavor of the Day. Frozen custard is different from ice cream because it uses more cream and contains less air, so it’s creamier, and frozen custard is served at a temperature that won’t freeze your taste buds, so you can enjoy the flavor longer.
Make sure to visit Culver’s on the 10th of the month to treat a stranger or family member to the new flavors of the day. We thoroughly enjoyed our Blackberry Cobbler fresh frozen custard flavor of the day. The ambience is nice and friendly we had so much fun treating my niece to some yummy frozen custard.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.