This Lemon Berry Breakfast cake is healthy and delicious!
My kids couldn’t stop thanking me after the first bite. The next 10 minutes as they devoured their breakfast cake all I heard was sounds of satisfaction and delight.
What totally made this breakfast cake amazing was the lemon sauce so don’t skip it. It’s pretty healthy so I didn’t feel bad letting my kids enjoy more than a drizzle.
Lemon Berry Breakfast Cake
Ingredients: (dairy free, gluten free, sugar free)
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1/4 cup honey + 2 tablespoons Pyure sweetener or more honey
- 2 teaspoons pure lemon extract
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 3 cups berries blueberries, strawberries…
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp almond milk or water
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- zest of 1/2 of a lemon
- 3 tbsp plain greek yogurt (leave out if you’re lactose intolerant)
- honey or pyure sweetener to taste
Add oatmeal, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and mix.
Then make a well in the middle of the oats mixture and add the eggs, milk, honey, sweetener, extract and oil to the middle and only mix the wet ingredients.
Then mix all of it together and pour into a greased casserole dish and add frozen or fresh berries to the top. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
Lemon Sauce: Place the oil, lemon juice, water, vanilla in a small sauce pan and allow to simmer then remove from heat and add the remaining ingredients.
Drizzle the lemon sauce over the cake once you’re ready to eat it. Then add a dollop of plain yogurt and enjoy! Which of course this dollop of plain yogurt is dairy so leave out if you’re lactose intolerant.