I absolutely love the idea of small Christmas celebrations each day in December. I definitely need that daily reminder to focus on what this season is really about. For a while, I avoided Advent Calendars. The thought of doing something each day in the busiest month of the year was overwhelming but I soon realized that I could make the calendar to fit our schedule. Some families only use candy, others mix it up and have activities and a treat, some are Christ focused others are not… There are so many options to consider when planning out your calendar. Every year that we have done our Advent calendar I find ways to tweak it to our families schedule and our boys attention span. They get so excited for our family advent time!
- Red Felt pockets- Glue/sew red felt pockets and stringed them to ribbon.
- Shoe Organizer- So easy, just put numbers in front of each pocket. Tada!
- Book Advent- I love children books so this is one of my favorite countdowns. Wrap store-bought books or library books and start your countdown. Picture from Babyccino Kids, I love how they made the number tags look like candles.
- Christmas Tree Advent- Pottery barn knock off, tutorial here.
- Gift Box Advent from Toilet Paper Rolls- Simple and cute! Tutorial here
- Nativity Scene Advent- Such a great idea see tutorial here
- Snowflake Advent- This one also used Toilet Paper rolls but she sews the ends, fancy!
- Train Advent- Perfect for little boys.
- What God wants for Christmas- We have been using this since our boys were 3yrs old, they love it! You can also find this at any Christian bookstore.
Our family uses the Christmas Tree Advent calendar #4 in conjunction with #9 What God Wants for Christmas. What God Wants for Christmas has 7 boxes with activities so we just stick the boxes in the pockets of the tree advent calendar. Simultaneously, we also do a children’s book countdown #3 but we spend most of our focus on the Christmas Tree Advent activities. When our days get overwhelming we shorten our advent activity but the boys still get to open a book from our book countdown.
An example of one of our Advent Pocket Activities: Day 15 (If you would like the other 24 activity print outs emailed to you just comment below w/ your email or email me at email@example.com)
- Figure/ornament: Moon
- Scripture: Luke 2:19
- Sing: Sing Silent Night as a family
- Activity: Go outside and look at the night sky and observe the stars. Have a family prayer time thanking God.