From Plain to Pretty Mirrors

Featured Writer: Sarah from The Winthrop Chronicles

I love recycling old home decor. Recently I decided to recycle some old mirrors I picked up at a garage sale a few years ago. The mirrors were stowed away in my attic, until I had an idea of how to update them. My mirrors were already painted white, so I was able to skip that step and move on to the taping.

Use painters tape or masking tape to create the design you want on your frame.

Paint your frames. I chose yellow and grey to go with the color scheme in my daughter’s room.

After the paint dried, I used sandpaper to rough up the wood. I wanted to give it a well-worn look.

And that’s it! It was a pretty quick and easy project and the best part is that it was free because I used items I already had. And it was a good way to tie in some colors from her art wall.

{For a tutorial on my daughter’s photo on wood wall art as seen in the picture above, go here}
Sarah is a former NBC news reporter turned stay at home mom. She loves spending time with her three little ones. Her days include picnics at the park and potty training, and she tries to squeeze in some crafting and sewing time when she can. You can follow what she (and her family) are up to and what her latest project is at The Winthrop Chronicles.

Tags: , , , ,

33 Responses to “From Plain to Pretty Mirrors”

1. Leigh Ann
    April 20, 2012 at 9:26 am #

Cute!

2. April 20, 2012 at 12:06 pm #

Love lOve loVe lovE! Bythewayjenngray.blogspot.com

3. April 20, 2012 at 7:06 pm #

So cute! I love the grouping. And the bird fabric is one of my favorites. I’ve used it in a different color. = )

4. April 21, 2012 at 11:16 pm #

Hello! I’m visiting from Country Momma Cooks. great idea! Love the way it turned out. I’m going to pin this to my craft board.

Sharon @ mrs. hines class

• January 9, 2013 at 10:43 pm #

I love this. I still have a hard time visualizing how you set it up, but the reltuss are awesome. Looks like a fun day off. I hope you got some rest, too.

5. April 22, 2012 at 10:09 am #

Thanks so much for linking up this cute project @CountryMommaCooks….have a wonderful Sunday:)

6. April 23, 2012 at 9:49 am #

Love these! I can’t wait to try these out on some of my old picture frames. What a great way to change things up with little money.

7. April 23, 2012 at 10:17 am #

Really, really nice! I love grey and yellow together and that pop of turquoise is so pretty! Thanks for the tutorial!

8. Mallori
    April 23, 2012 at 12:00 pm #

Love these! Great idea, can’t wait to make some!

9. Sharon
    April 23, 2012 at 3:40 pm #

Cute idea! We recently moved into a home where someone left an old mirror…I am now inspired and have a project to begin.

10. April 23, 2012 at 5:17 pm #

ooooh, these are so pretty! love the colors, love the stripes, love the distressing. now i need to hit up some garage sales for some of these! we’d love for you to link this to our Sunday Best link party going on right now. http://griffithsrated.blogspot.com/2012/04/sunday-best-link-party_22.html
    -marie

11. April 24, 2012 at 2:35 pm #

I love all of these mirrors- they are beautiful! I love the effect of using sandpaper! I’m visiting from Jillify It! :)

12. April 24, 2012 at 8:58 pm #

I live for projects like this! Nothing beats a few project! I would love for you to come share at my link party!
    Amy@Homehappyhome

13. April 25, 2012 at 6:52 am #

I love these! What a great makover using just a little paint. I featured these over at So Very Creative, thanks for linking up!

• January 9, 2013 at 9:24 am #

Johan Liljegren November 13, 2007 Jeff,Great to get some new blog tips! However, the link to Matt Evans’ The Admin Exchange is most likely inrercoct, as it is the same as the one to Salesforce Times.My Google karma doesn’t give me any tips on where to find it either. Do you have an updated link to it?Regards//Johan

14. April 25, 2012 at 5:28 pm #

Those frames look fantastic!

15. olgastardust
    April 25, 2012 at 11:21 pm #

They are amazing! i’m heading over to see the tutorial on your daughter’s picture on wood art!

16. April 26, 2012 at 3:14 pm #

Love your frames, very cute. Love the colors that you used. Thank you for sharing your fantasitc project.

17. April 26, 2012 at 8:21 pm #

These turned out so cute!! We loved having you link up to our “Strut Your Stuff Saturday.” Hope you’ll be back soon! -The Sisters

18. April 26, 2012 at 9:42 pm #

So pretty! love the yellow one. Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

19. April 27, 2012 at 11:57 am #

This is a great project! I love they turned out. Would you consider linking it up to my Pinworthy Projects Linky Party over at Just Us Four?

20. April 27, 2012 at 6:38 pm #

Love the yellow striped mirror! Thanks for linking up at Sunday Blog Love! Wishing you a wonderful weekend.

21. April 27, 2012 at 7:25 pm #

Love how your mirror turned out! I LOVE stripes!!

22. April 27, 2012 at 8:15 pm #

loving the diagonal yellow stripes! Will have to work up the courage to paint my own frames… but I’d love to try it out!

23. April 29, 2012 at 5:19 am #

Great idea, love it!

24. April 29, 2012 at 4:07 pm #

What a fun and easy way to repurpose mirrors. Thank you for sharing at What Joy Is Mine.

25. thesasselife
    May 1, 2012 at 7:52 am #

Super cute and easy!
    YOu were featured!

26. May 1, 2012 at 10:28 pm #

well how darn cute are those?! Perfect!!! I am inspired! Thank you for the inspiration!!! AND thank you for linking up at my place!!!
    Jaime from Crafty Scrappy Happy

27. June 30, 2012 at 12:35 pm #

great idea!

28. January 9, 2013 at 4:02 am #

All clones. I had a blast mniakg this. Believe it or not, it’s just two mirrors. I held them together at the top and separated them at the bottom to get this effect. The closer together they were, the more reflection I got in the middle! I’m going to experiment some more with these.

1. Add color and some debate. « Sprinkle of Honey - June 30, 2012

[...] From Plain to Pretty Mirrors (inspiredbyfamilymag.com) [...]

2. DIY Basket From Cereal Box | Inspired By Family Magazine - July 17, 2012

[...] From Plain to Pretty Mirrors Share this:TwitterFacebookEmailLike this:LikeOne blogger likes this. [...]

3. Strut Your Stuff Saturday Link Party - Week 42 | Six Sisters' Stuff - July 2, 2013

[...] DIY Recycled Mirrors from Inspired Family Mag [...]