Dyed Glass Luminaries from Baby Jars

I was sitting at a little artsy café with my hubby enjoying some decadent chocolate fondue for our 9th anniversary and suddenly  I had this great idea: dyed glass luminaries from baby jars. This was featured in the Simple Summer Magazine Issue here.

As I sat there reminiscing and taking in the past 9 years, thinking through the great moments, the not so great moments, the waitresses interesting accent, the cafés decor, our wedding day, how cute my husband looks……

Just a quick note to my fellow male friends: Yes, women can be in the midst of a romantic moment and still think about mundane task like the grocery list. So back to the cute little café decor.  I  noticed that hanging over each table were beautiful brightly colored vases with candles.  I loved it!

As I sat there thoroughly engaged in our romantic evening enjoying our deep and silly conversation, I was also coming up with a list in my head on how I can make a version of these glass vase luminaries myself.  I toyed around with learning how to blow glass and opening up a cute little shop with beautiful one of a kind glass decor pieces but that idea was quickly replaced with a much more practical one.  Why don’t I just learn how to dye glass?

I have a habit of including my husband in my crafting thought process which I am sure he loves (insert smirk). I interrupted our conversation about our future goals and desires and I asked him ”How do you think they dyed those vases?”  His reply was to the point “I don’t know” and we carried on with our fabulous anniversary (NO KIDS) evening. Later when I got home looked it up and pretty much everyone’s process was the similar: glue, food coloring and water.

I was already planning an Alfresco Dinner Party so this project Dyed Glass Luminaries from baby food jars was added to the list. To my surprise no one had tried it yet with baby food jars at least that was the results from my online search. Enjoy!

For more simple summer projects stop by and check out our recipes, crafts and home decor here or join the fun via Facebook or Feedburner.

Dyeing Baby Food Jars

easy as 1, 2, 3

Supplies:

• food coloring (colors of your choice)
  • washed baby food jars w/ lids
  • glue (basic white paper glue)
  • water

Process:

1. In each jar place 1tsp of glue, 2 tsp of water and 3 drop of food coloring and mix.
  2. Place lid on jar and shake around making sure that it’s completely covered.
  3. With lid still on turn over and let it drip down.
  4. Then once the excess has completely dripped down, remove the cap and turn over to let it air dry (completely dry inside).
  5. Wrap wire around the rim and then over for the handle.

It took about 20min and it cost me nothing (since I had all of these items on hand at home).

NOTE: If you notice that the jars are not completely covered then shake it up again and start over with step #2.  Also, if you want your colors to be darker add more food coloring. Play around with the ratios but this is what worked for me. Also, if you are too lazy to take them down after your party and it happens to rain the colors will strip off. Not that I did that, ahem.

They looked absolutely beautiful when they were lit up in the dark! So beautiful, that I used it for the cover of our Simple Summer Issue.

2nd image via Rosannalnc, last image taken by Carla Ackermanns Photography

I entered this project in the CSI Project and it won! I don’t think I have ever participated in one of these. Fun times!

Tags: , , , , ,

53 Responses to “Dyed Glass Luminaries from Baby Jars”

1. July 5, 2012 at 1:19 pm #

Awesome idea! I’ll have to try this!

2. July 5, 2012 at 4:39 pm #

I love this idea! I hope you will link this up to the CSI Project. The challenge is Summer outdoor decorating and parties. These would be perfect. You just might win or be featured!
    Come on over! http://www.thecsiproject.com
    The challenge ends Friday at noon.

3. July 7, 2012 at 12:24 am #

Great idea! I just made magnetic spice jars out of baby food jars to hold my various sprinkles (I think they are too pretty to be locked up in the cabinet!) I would love to try this too

• Karin
      September 5, 2013 at 11:10 am #

Yes! I do keep my spice jars & didn’t even think of that! Now i don’t have to go buy baby food :)

• Inspired by Family Mag
        September 5, 2013 at 5:13 pm #

Karin, That’s a great idea.

4. evelyn513
    July 7, 2012 at 6:31 am #

I am loving this! I have a huge box of baby food jars for ???? which would be perfect. Also it would let my hubby know I did save them for a reason, lol. Thank you for sharing at Freedom Fridays.
    ps I am pinning them so I can make them

5. July 7, 2012 at 10:00 am #

OMG.. These are so cute! Thanks for linking up at Friday Fun Party.. Have a nice weekend.

6. July 7, 2012 at 9:40 pm #

Really cute jars, I love them, and the colors. Thanks for sharing.

7. July 8, 2012 at 12:43 pm #

This is such an awesome idea! I’ll have to give it a shot!

8. July 8, 2012 at 12:48 pm #

I am so going to make these … they are darling! Found you on the weekend link up. Following via twitter.Would love a follow back!

9. July 9, 2012 at 9:29 am #

This is such a neat idea! They turned out very pretty!

10. lisa
    July 9, 2012 at 1:53 pm #

Tried it today easy fun and pretty.

11. July 9, 2012 at 8:12 pm #

These are so beautiful—daytime or evening. Love! And, seem so much fun to make too!

12. July 10, 2012 at 6:48 am #

Great idea!! I think I’ll pin this now :)

13. July 10, 2012 at 6:27 pm #

What a fantastic idea! I like to keep jars for a just in case thing, this is a great way to decorate and use them interestingly.

14. July 11, 2012 at 8:02 am #

They do make for a beautiful picture!

15. July 12, 2012 at 5:41 pm #

Guess what awesome project was featured at Freedom Fridays this week?? I’m not telling, lol! See you there.

16. Selena
    July 23, 2012 at 3:19 pm #

-.- I hate you. LOL!

I just got done turning a canning jar into a soap dispenser. Then I find you, with this. And I just so happen to have a decent sized box of baby food jars tucked away somewhere. I also have a few boxes of old canning jars too… Hmmmm… Wouldn’t those look lovely as centerpieces?

*sigh* ;P

• July 29, 2012 at 9:06 am #

does the glue not melt down once it gets warm? and how do you make a soap dispenser out of a canning jar?

• July 29, 2012 at 11:42 am #

Kms,
        They did great for our shindig but my problem was I left them out and it rained. That ruined them. I mentioned that above in the article but my SIL just told me you can bake them to keep them from ruining. I have never baked them so I don’t know if it that works. If you try it let us know. For the soap dispenser from canning jar all you need to do is make a hole on top the the canning jar lid and insert the pump and glue(good craft glue) the pump to the lid.

17. Josie
    September 10, 2012 at 4:16 am #

Found this on Pinterest…. you ought to add a Pinterest icon to your posts! This makes it a new easy way to share your ideas!

• September 10, 2012 at 7:02 am #

Josie, I wish I could. WP my webhost doesn’t allow it but that was 6 months ago maybe I should check into again.
      Thx, for stopping by! Mari

18. Anonymous
    January 4, 2013 at 4:58 pm #

Can’t wait to try this!!

19. Jen Ortiz
    April 14, 2013 at 7:21 pm #

Not sure if anyone else had this problem, but with 1 tsp glue and 2 TbS water, it was very watery and nothing really stuck to color the glass. I don’t know if it was the generic brand of glue I used, or the ratios, but it didn’t work as easily as I had hoped it would! If anyone sees this and has recommendations, I’d be glad to hear it!

• April 16, 2013 at 7:04 pm #

Hi Jen, I am sorry it was runny for you. I really don’t know what happened other than maybe it was your glue. I will play with the ratios tomorrow and let you know.

• KIKI
      June 24, 2013 at 7:12 pm #

1 teaspoon glue and 2 teaspoons (not Tablespoons) water.

20. gracey
    April 28, 2013 at 7:54 pm #

i made this as a party favor for my daughter’s christening since i had a lot of baby food jar. It was so easy to make and i didn’t have to buy expensive favors since all i needed was glue, food color and water. Thank you for this cool idea.

• April 30, 2013 at 9:09 am #

Gracey, so glad it worked out for you. I am sure it was a lovely party. Thx for letting us know.

21. Leslie
    July 17, 2013 at 8:59 am #

Would heat from a candle melt the glue inside??

• Inspired by Family Mag
      August 1, 2013 at 2:33 pm #

Leslie, I didn’t have a problem with the glue melting.

• Inspired by Family Mag
      August 1, 2013 at 2:33 pm #

Leslie, I didn’t have a problem with the glue melting.

• Rachel
      June 14, 2014 at 8:26 am #

Do you know if you used tealight candles instead of taller candles if that would make the glue melt b/c it would be further down in the jar?

• Inspired by Family Mag
        June 18, 2014 at 2:37 pm #

Rachel, My candles melted down to practically nothing and it didn’t do anything to the glue.

22. quinn
    August 27, 2013 at 8:39 am #

I was wondering how long it took to dry, I tried it yesterday and after 12 hours, they still weren’t dry….

• Inspired by Family Mag
      August 30, 2013 at 7:03 pm #

Quinn, It took me an hour on a hot sunny day. Not sure whey it’s taking so long to dry for you.

23. Katie
    March 12, 2014 at 9:31 am #

What happened when the hot wax got in contact with the dried paint mixture? Did it hold up? or melt into the wax?

• Inspired by Family Mag
      June 18, 2014 at 2:39 pm #

Katie,

Nothing happened to mine when they wax melted. What messed up mine, is that I left them outside and then it rained all day.

1. Great Ideas -- 25 Superb Summertime Ideas!! - July 7, 2012

[...] Cups Stuffed Tomato Cups @ Will Cook for Smiles Dyed Glass Luminaries from Baby Jars @ Inspired by Family Magazine Old Buckets Waterfall @ Backwoods Cottage DIY Ladder Golf Game @ Mom Endeavors Outdoor [...]

2. Keletas vasariškų dekoravimo idėjų • Eitnė.lt - July 8, 2012

[...] Dažniausiai, susimąstome apie apšvietimą. Viena iš idėjų – spalvingos žvakidės-stiklainiukai: [...]

3. Jump Into Summer | Inspired By Family Magazine - July 15, 2012

[...] Dyed Glass Luminaries from Baby Food Jars [...]

4. Dyed Glass Luminaries + More! | Lasso the Moon - July 28, 2012

[...] parents is to help our children maintain a sense of wonder and appreciation for everyday life. This DIY Dyed Glass Luminaries project is a great way to make an al fresco family dinner simply [...]

5. Active Kids Bay Area - August 8, 2012

[...] Courtesy of: http://inspiredbyfamilymag.com/2012/07/05/dyed-glass-luminaries-from-baby-jars/ [...]

6. Baby Jar Dyed Glass Luminaries | Copycat Crafts - October 11, 2012

[...] Dyed Glass Luminaries from Baby Jars | Inspired By Family Magazine. /* Filed Under: Lamps & [...]

7. Best Family Projects | Inspired By Family Magazine - January 1, 2013

[...] Glass Luminaries from Baby Jars [...]

8. DIY: LAMPARITAS PARA EL JARDÍN CON FRASCOS DE COLADO PARA BEBÉS | cambia tu vida cambia tu planeta - March 24, 2013

[...] Fuente: aquí [...]

9. 11 Crafty Ways to Reuse Baby Food Jars | Inhabitots - September 1, 2013

[…] photo credit © Inspired by Familia […]

10. Drugie życie słoika - Dzieci są ważne - September 26, 2013

[…] inspiredbyfamilymag.com […]

11. 28 Great Garden Party Ideas - May 20, 2014

[…] Candle Lanterns – Use candles to create a gentle evening glow and create a more intimate atmosphere, not only is it cheap but it is also a beautiful way to keep the party going. […]

12. Repurpose Baby Food Jars - September 30, 2014

[…] Favors by Make Life Lovely Vases by Stay at Home-ista Planting Wheat Berries by See Jane Blog Dyed Glass Luminaries by Inspired by Familia Mini Cakes by Make Life Lovely Magnetic Spice Holders by Dav.I.Son Chandelier by Mother Earth […]

13. 16 Luminaries and Lanterns to Light Up Your Autumn Party - October 2, 2014

[…] Baby food jars are super easy to come by and when you find them, it’s by the dozens. Snatch a few for yourself and create these brightly colored lanterns by covering them with a mix of glue and food coloring. (via Inspired by Familia) […]

14. 16 Luminaries and Lanterns to Light Up Your Autumn Party | Club Oferteproprietari.ro - October 2, 2014