Stress, chaos, chasing after kids, bribing, stern (very stern) looks, “you better smile or else”, a
crying baby who could care less about any of your threats and bribes your spouting off.
I only know this because other moms have shared their horror family picture stories, NOT.
Well, I thought it would be great to take some Mother’s day photos with my men.
WHAT. WAS. I. THINKING.
We were able to get a few good ones and the rest, well, were for sheer torture, I mean entertainment.
Behind the Scenes Family Photo Shoot
Tips that I need to remind myself of in the midst of the chaos:
Note, I didn’t say if you have chaos. There will be chaos if you have little ones involved so go into it expecting be happy in the midst of it when you’re family photo session isn’t turning out like mine.
1. Candid shots can be great.
2. Everyone looking at the camera and standing perfectly straight makes for a boring picture. I mean come on who wants to remember stiff robotic looking children.
3. Take lot’s of photos. That way you have more to choose from or more to laugh at.
4. Have treats at hand. Yes, bribe the heck out of them. And if that doesn’t work threaten to ground them until their 20 (just kidding, maybe). I am all about bribing for the sake of a good picture.
5. Take small breaks if you are going for more than 20 minutes, otherwise you end up with possessed child in the back.
6. Relax, relax, relax. The kids pick up on the tension in your voice (you like how I worded that). I wish I could tell you these pictures were not candid. That my kids were only posing and pretending because they knew I was going to write this article.
7. Invest in a remote control and tripod, but a friend is always a lot more helpful. You won’t strangle your children in front of a friend.
8. Know when to call it quits. It’s not worth it to drag it out. Oh, believe me it’s not worth it.
Stop and thank God! “Praise you Jesus, we are done and no one got strangled!”
If you’ve ever taken family photos then I know you read this seeing the humor in my words. 🙂 Now go on and take a deep breath and get those pictures done with.