Dr. Seuss Party

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!

I wanted to share this party with you all as we draw closer to celebrating Theodor Seuss Geisl.  Hopefully our activities and fun inspired you to celebrate!

Every year we get excited about throwing a Back to School party for my son’s class.  We love it because it’s a great way to Dr. Seuss Partyget to  know my sons classmates, their families and the teachers, outside of the school setting!

So this year we went with a Dr. Seuss theme mostly because I love all the wonderful inspiring quotes I have found in his books. This was a fun way to share them with the kids and have a little fun before the school year gets going.

Check back later for more fun or follow along so you don’t miss all of our great post on crafting, cooking, kid activities and home decor…. via your favorite social network :Twitter,Pinterest or Facebook and our readers preferred way via email.

Dr. Seuss Party

Dessert Table

Jello with Gummy fish

Marshmallows sticks dipped in white chocolate and colored sprinkles. The decor was simple! I covered styrofoam in blue paper and glued some quotes!

I filled up a glass vase with chips and put a quote inside it. Once again simple.

Dr. Suess Hat cake – 5 layers of chocolate cake covered with buttercream frosting! I must admit I really think fondant would’ve been much easier than using this buttercream frosting.

Decor

I made paper fans circles with polka dot paper and turqoise tissue paper. I also used red paper lanterns to hang from the trees.

Books- His books are another simple way to decorate. I had them set out on the table.

Quotes- Print out quotes and display them. Here’s a fun free printable with quotes.

Fabric- Invest in some fun fabric and use it to cover the tables. I have managed to use this fabric in so many of their parties, you can’t go wrong with stripes and polka dots.

Activities

Photo Shoot!  Our Thing 1 and Thing 2 photo booth was a huge success. It was a wonderful idea and I even got my boys involved. They helped me paint it. Once we were done with it, I donated it to the school.

Dr. Seuss Duck, Duck Goose Game– We played One fish, 2 fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish. It’s the same thing as duck duck goose but we changed the words to one fish, 2 fish red fish and at BLUE FISH that person is the one who runs around.

Thing 1 and Thing 2 Freeze tag – I made blue hair from tissue paper and attached it to headbands. Two people were chosen to wear them and they had to tag the rest of the group. Once they were tagged they had to freeze.

Cat in the Hat Ball Game – I used a small trash can and made it look like Dr. Suess’ hat and then they took turns trying to throw the balls in.

boyfriendreplacement: Celebrate Dr. Seuss’s Birthday with Recipes for Thing 1 and Thing 2 Cupcakes, Pink Yink Ink Smoothies, Cat in the Hat Marshmallow Pops Recipe Completely adorable.

Tah dah! I didn’t get a close up picture of the red buttercream frosting cupcakes that are in the picture above to the right, but they were really cute. We were going for the blue icing look (picture via www.goodlifeeats.com)  but my friend ran out of blue food coloring (the kids didn’t care).

Here are my boys helping me paint the Thing 1 and Thing 2 Photo prop.  I just drew it on butcher paper, painted it and then cut out the face.

31 Responses to “Dr. Seuss Party”

1. February 26, 2012 at 12:41 pm #

Such a cute party idea! I love Dr. Seuss. I’m stopping by from the blog hop and I’m following through facebook. Stop by http://www.thenymelrosefamily.blogspot.com and join in the bloglovin blog hop that I’m cohosting tomorrow. The instructions on how to add bloglovin to your site is posted right now though. See you soon!

• February 26, 2012 at 6:24 pm #

Jenny, so glad to have you following. Thanks for the heads up on your party- I am still trying to figure out blog hops, lol.

2. February 26, 2012 at 7:01 pm #

What an adorable cake! I’ve never seen one in the form of the hat before. I love it. 🙂 ~Megan I found your blog through the Cherished Treasure link party.

• February 27, 2012 at 7:46 am #

Megan, Thanks for the compliment! Frosting it was the hardest but I think next time for that many layers I will stick with fondant.

3. February 27, 2012 at 12:36 am #

I came over from marvelously messy and I love the happiness and the cute colors 🙂

• February 27, 2012 at 7:48 am #

Meeha,
      Is that a nickname? The reason I ask is b/c that is what I was called throughout my childhood by my parents, in Spanish it’s an endearing way to say “my daughter.” Thanks for sweet note on our party!

4. February 27, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

I absolutely love the concept behind this party and the outcome is fabulous! Great ideas all around. Gotta file this one away for future parties.

5. February 28, 2012 at 9:35 am #

ADORABLE. I love Dr Suess! You did it perfectly! I’m tucking this one away for a future little one’s party. 🙂

• February 28, 2012 at 8:53 pm #

Awww you ladies are totally making my day with such sweet comments on our party! Makaila thanks for stopping by with your kind words.

6. February 28, 2012 at 9:45 pm #

Great inspiration! I am looking forward to trying out some of these ideas with my students!

7. February 29, 2012 at 7:14 am #

Love it! I’m featuring you on my Facebook Page right now 🙂 THanks for linking up to Mommy Solutions. A new linky will be posted today so I hope you stop in and link up something else fun! I wasn’t sure if you were on Facebook. If so stop over and say HI! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crystal-Co/188484568601

8. Beth
    March 1, 2012 at 5:06 am #

WOW – what an amazing event!! So many GREAT ideas! I am sharing this with my Facebook readers here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Living-Life-Intentionally/261252997248957 – Thanks for linking up to TGIF! Have a great weekend,
    Beth =)

9. Rebekah L.
    March 1, 2012 at 8:25 am #

How cute! I cant imagine planning an event like that.

10. March 1, 2012 at 8:26 am #

‘I meant what I said and I said what I meant’…this party is fantastic!

11. March 1, 2012 at 10:15 am #

Super cute–I love the cake!

12. March 2, 2012 at 11:51 am #

Looks like a super fun party!
    Thanks for linking up to this week’s Catch a Glimpse party! I featured this today! 🙂

13. March 2, 2012 at 11:41 pm #

This looks like so much fun. Love Dr. Seuess!

Thanks so much for stopping by Blissful and Domestics Blog Hop. I am of course following your cute blog now am so to catch up on your blog. I hope you will come back this week and link up again:>

14. March 3, 2012 at 6:34 pm #

Precious party! Thank you for sharing at Uncommon !

Bonnie 😉

15. March 4, 2012 at 8:00 pm #

What an awesome party. You did a great job. Now I want to have a Dr. Seuss party too!

16. March 4, 2012 at 8:20 pm #

This looks like so much fun!!! Love the cake!

17. March 5, 2012 at 2:20 pm #

The the Dr Suess party theme! I just posted about a Dr Seuss quilt and some wall out that I made for my son and now I think I know what theme his next birthday party will have!

18. Jen Dons
    March 7, 2012 at 7:34 am #

Very fun! You know how much I love parties!!

19. March 7, 2012 at 11:33 am #

A truely delightful looking Seuss party!

20. March 8, 2012 at 5:51 pm #

What a wonderful party! Thanks for sharing at Fabulous Friday.

1. Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss! | wyomingstorygirl - March 4, 2012

[…] not much on keeping up with celeb’s and other famous people birthdays. Last week did you see this awesome Dr. Seuss party theme? It never occurred to me that The Lorax and all these “theme” posts were because of the beloved […]

2. Dr. Suess Lunch Notes | Inspired By Family Magazine - August 15, 2012

[…] Dr. Seuss Back to School Party! […]

3. Back to School Party: Chalkboard Invitations | Inspired by FamiliaInspired by Familia - August 4, 2013

[…] teacher outside of a school setting.  We’ve had back to school parties with these themes: Dr. Seuss party, Ice Cream Social , Jungle and […]

4. 10 Things to do for Preschool at Home | True Aim Education & Parenting - February 26, 2014

[…] Have Fun! […]

5. 6 fun foods to celebrate Dr. Seuss week | My Family Blog - March 5, 2014

[…] Fruit Snack via Kitchen with my three Sons – Truffula Tree cupcake toppers via Hank and Hunt – One Fish Two Fish Jello cups via Inspired by Familia – The Lorax NutterButters via Embrace My […]

6. Dr. Seuss Lunch NotesInspired by Familia - March 3, 2015