This months Around the World Kid Friendly Recipe is packed with lots of yummy nutrients. I get great joy from broadening our boys palate with around the world cuisines, this one is a Middle Eastern/African dish from Morocco.
Sometimes these dishes are winner meals and sometimes not so much. The best is when I substitute an ingredient in the meal for a more kid friendly alternative and they love it! I will be sharing with you at the end of the month our Orange Chicken w/veggies using my “super kid friendly” ingredient!
I always use rotisserie chicken or left over chicken to make this an easy quick dinner meal. The crescent roll crust and raisins make this dish appealing for my kids. Enjoy!
Moroccan Chicken Bake
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 lb), cut into bite-size pieces or rotisserie chicken already shredded.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can of drained chick peas/garbanzo beans
- 1/2 cup sliced carrot
- 2 cans (14.5 oz) diced fire-roasted or regular tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne is not spicy so use this if you don’t want to use red pepper flakes that is spicy)
- 1 can (8 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated crescent dinner rolls (8 rolls) They don’t sell this here so I use pastry dough
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- 1/3 cp of raisins
1 Heat oven to 375°F. In 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, onion and carrot; cook and stir about 7 minutes or until chicken is browned and no longer pink in center (or 5 minutes if you are using cooked chicken). Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, cilantro, paprika, salt, cumin, raisins, cinnamon and cayenne. Cook and stir about 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
2 Into ungreased 11×7-inch (2-quart) glass baking dish or 9 1/2- or 10-inch deep-dish pie plate, pour hot chicken mixture. Immediately unroll dough over chicken mixture; pinch edges and perforations to seal. Brush dough with beaten egg; sprinkle with almonds.
3 Bake 18 to 25 minutes or until deep golden brown. If desired, garnish with fresh cilantro.
This recipe was adapted from Betty Crocker
Other Around the World Kid Friendly Recipes: