28 Things Your Family Needs to Hear You Say

I debated on what my focus should be: Family or Kids.  I did some research and I found that there is tons of information on what to say or not say to your kids but I found nothing on family.  So I decided I would stick with, 28 Things Your Family Need to Hear You Say. As I was coming up with this list, I also realized I need to say these things to my hubby just as much as I need to say them to my kids and I wouldn’t mind hearing them myself.

Meaningful words don’t always have to be encouraging phrases addressed to someone.  For example, my parents regulary told us ”let’s be generous with our blessings (even though we had little),” that phrase has been foundational in my life.

“Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless.” ~Mother Theresa

I will use the word “meaningful” often here because  I don’t mean just saying “good job”, “you’re super” or “that was nice”, although these words maybe encouraging sometimes there is more value when we  find specific and meaningful ways to encourage our children, spouse, siblings.  Each person is different so finding those ways that build them up is important.

Using words that build, in our home may mean we need to evaluate our speech.  Words like “f— you, or the hell with you” or whatever other profanities come to your mind these are never words that build even if you are not directing them at your child.  Your child is still hearing them and they are definitely not building anyone up by using them.  So if you have to use them, save them for when you are out with your buddies.

“Our chief want is someone who will inspire us to be what we know we could be.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Meaningful words are also polite words like thank you, please, excuse me, no thank you …, that we should also use with our children and spouse. These words are not just for strangers or friends, it’s important that we incorporate them in our home with our family.

The words we say will teach if we practice what we preach.

“In everyone’s life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is
then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being.”

Even though I know the importance of meaningful words,  it still takes a lot of discipline on my part to make sure that I am sharing them out loud (not just in my head).  I am good at encouraging my kids (for the most part) but I need to work on this when it comes to my husband. Can anyone else relate?

“Silence is not always golden.”

Take a moment and think about the words that have breathed life into your down trodden soul. Those words that lift the spirits of the hurting and give wings to dreams and give hope and guidance to the lost.  Words that remind us that good old fashion manners are not a thing of the past. Jot down those meaningful words or phrases and put them on index cards and on a ring if you need the reminder (like I do).  My husband recently shared that he wanted us to start praying again in the morning as a couple.  Hearing him say “let’s pray” every morning, awakens my soul.

This list could quickly be 10 pages long as I think back to the powerful phrases that built me up as a kid and the things I have heard in my office from other families.  What are some other phrases that you would add to this list?  I asked my husband this question and his smart alecky self replied “I wish I would have heard my parents say to me, we are going on a European vacation.”

What other words/phrases would you add to the list?

If you are new to Inspired by Family and you don’t want to miss a post follow us here or via Facebook.

30 Responses to “28 Things Your Family Needs to Hear You Say”

1. July 23, 2012 at 4:22 pm #

I really love this! They are all wonderful to hear!

2. July 24, 2012 at 5:35 am #

Great post!

PS: Thank you for linking up to Show Me What You Got Tuesday’s @ ODH via: http://ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com/2012/07/live-show-me-what-you-got-linky-party-24.html

Mrs. Delightful

3. July 24, 2012 at 1:06 pm #

Beautiful. Great post. I found you via the Tuesday Talent Show from Chef in Training
    I have linked a pizza I did with leftover roast chicken. Have a good week.

4. July 24, 2012 at 6:29 pm #

Great post, Mari! It’s a great reminder to me to be more intentional in saying these things to my husband as well. I often praise my kids throughout the day but I need to work on encouraging my husband more!

• July 24, 2012 at 6:40 pm #

Stephanie, isn’t that funny that praising the kids is much more natural then praising the hubs. Glad it spoked to you, it definitely spoke to me.

5. July 24, 2012 at 7:48 pm #

great list

6. July 25, 2012 at 9:58 am #

Wow, what a fabulous list, thank you for the reminder. Will most definitely have to do some of these more!!!

7. July 25, 2012 at 1:36 pm #

its nice to read that and recognise that I say quite a few already, but I could work on somemore.

8. johannahanson
    July 25, 2012 at 6:16 pm #

Great list, Mari! Thanks for the reminder. :)

9. July 27, 2012 at 6:36 am #

I loved this list I printed it out and hung it on my fridge! I also put a link to on my blog post this morning! Love your blog!

• July 27, 2012 at 7:19 pm #

Robyn, I am so glad to hear that. I love to know when our readers are blessed by something they find here!

10. July 27, 2012 at 7:29 am #

Love the list and the graphic…good reminder!

11. July 27, 2012 at 6:37 pm #

Your list is amazing, you are so right – silence is not always golden! Thanks for sharing this at Sunday Blog Love. This will be featured as one of my favorites, wishing you a wonderful weekend!

12. thegunnysack
    July 27, 2012 at 9:29 pm #

Wonderful list!

13. July 28, 2012 at 9:56 am #

Love these 28 words.. Love to hear and say them all! :)
    Thanks for linking up at Friday Fun Party. Have a nice weekend!

14. July 30, 2012 at 4:26 am #

This is a great list of inspirational says for any family to hear. Thanks for sharing.
    Smiles, Paula

15. July 30, 2012 at 12:52 pm #

Thank your for this great reminder!

16. August 15, 2012 at 11:48 am #

I love this! Thanks for sharing! I printed it so I can see it often!
    Trina

17. September 30, 2013 at 8:21 am #

Hey. I came across your own weblog the use of yahoo. This is a rather well authored document. I’ll be bound to take a note of this and also revisit learn additional of one’s tips. We appreciate you your publish. I’ll definitely return.

1. Day 28: What is your biggest dream in life (what one great thing do you want to accomplish)? « It is a Strange Life… and I'm loving it! - August 8, 2012

[...] 28 Things Your Family Needs to Hear You Say (inspiredbyfamilymag.com) [...]

2. 35 Family Date Night Ideas | Inspired By Family Magazine - October 10, 2012

[...] 28 Things Your Family Needs to Hear You Say [...]

3. Best Family Projects | Inspired By Family Magazine - January 1, 2013

[...] 28 Things Your Family Needs to Hear You Say [...]

4. Homeschooling Changed My Relationship with My SonInspired by Familia - August 25, 2014

[…] 28 Things Your Family Needs To Hear You say […]