These were actually supposed to be wreaths, lol. One of our Christmas ADVENTure activities was to make a wreath so that was the plan. Sometimes we make a wreath craft but this time I wanted to make something edible since my dining room was already a craft mess.
So you’re probably wondering how does one end up with reindeer when trying to make wreaths. Well, it’s easy if you use marshmallows that have chocolate in the middle (I didn’t realize this). So we ended up with a bowl full of chocolate marshmallow cream instead of white. I tried to add green food coloring to make it green but the brown was just too over powering. So, we went with it and made reindeer.
Here’s my no stovetop rice krispie treat recipe. I hate getting the marshmallow goo off my pans so I like this recipe because it comes off much easier in a glass bowl.
Reindeer Rice Krispies
- 1.5 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups mini marshmallows (or 1/2 of a 10 ounce bag)
- 3 cups rice cereal (chocolate flavor)
- corn syrup
- red m & m’s
- chocolate chips
1. Melt the butter and marshmallows in a microwave safe bowl to make your marshmallow cream. When I use a glass bowl over a plastic bowl, that works better for washing. Place in microwave. Do this I in 1 minute increments. After 1 minute stir and place it again if still your marshmallows have not become creamy. Mine only took 1 minute.
2. Remove from heat and add rice cereal. Stir until well coated with marshmallow mixture.
3. Pour onto a cookie sheet with edges and place in fridge to cool.
4. Shape into triangle-shaped reindeer heads.
5. I like to use corn syrup as my “glue” when making edible crafts. Glue the pretzels for the antlers, the red m & m for the nose and the chocolate chips or brown m &m for the eyes. I had some white icing in a tube so I used that for the eyes.