My children dream of having cake for breakfast and their dream came true thanks to a cold winter morning and my need to warm up our house.
Rest assured, this is one cake you won’t feel guilty serving at breakfast. It’s packed with nutrients and every bite makes you say yummmm (at least that’s what my kids do).
Our mornings are crazy, crazy and did I say crazy! So, I was hoping this would last us for at least a couple of breakfast meals this week and it did!
I first had this when a friend brought us a meal after our baby was born. She explained that we could eat this lots of ways: for breakfast, for dessert, with milk, with out milk or with ice-cream.
I changed the recipe as I do for all recipes. The other night I envisioned this amazing breakfast cake with a hint of gingerbreadish flavor and pears so that’s what I did but you can pretty much make it any flavor you want or make it plain by leaving out the molasses and pears or apples.
Amazing Breakfast Cake
makes 2 cakes; serves approximately 12 -15 slices for both cakes combined
- 6 cups oatmeal
- 3 tblspns flaxseed meal
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup brown sugar or your preferred sweetner (note amounts change depending what sweetner you use)
- 3 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
Stir in another bowl:
- 1/2 cup oil (you can use coconut oil it’s healthier)
- 2 cup milk (almond is a good healthy choice)
- 1 cup of greek yogurt or plain yogurt
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons of molasses (if your molasses is strong in flavor or if your not a big fan of molasses leave it out or use less but molasses is also high in nutrients)
This recipes does not require flour. When baked it will rise like a cake but with a fluffy, crumbly texture.
- Mix together first 7 ingredients.
- Stir the other 5 ingredients in another bowl then add this mix to your dry ingredients.
- Place in baking dish and layer on top thin pear and or apple slices. You can also dice them up and put them in the dry ingredients, I highly recommend that.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes in a lightly greased pan. Makes enough for approximately 12-15 people. I was able to make two cakes one in a pie pan and another in a 9 X 9 cake pan.
If you want it to be sweeter drizzle it with caramel sauce or for a dessert add a scoop of vanilla ice-cream! What I did was caramelized 3 tablespoons of brown sugar and drizzled it over two cakes.
To reheat drizzle a little milk over it, cover and microwave for 30 to 60 seconds.
Here are some of our other favorite breads with a healthy twist:
Cranberry Apple Pumpkin Bread (this one is not so healthy but it’s scrumptious)