Easy Orange Chicken adapted from the Blog Chef
- Chicken Nuggets or breaded chicken- store-bought or homemade
- Veggies- thinly sliced red bell peppers, carrots, celery and broccoli
- 1 ½ cups water
2 tablespoons orange juice
¼ cup lemon juice
1/3 cup rice vinegar
2 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon orange zest (grated)
1 cup packed brown sugar
½ teaspoon ginger root (minced)
½ teaspoon garlic (minced)
2 tablespoons green onion (chopped)
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
1. Bake chicken nuggets as directed.
2. Meanwhile in a large saucepan combine 1 ½ cups water, lemon juice, orange juice, rice vinegar, and soy sauce. Blend well over medium heat for a few minutes. Stir in brown sugar, orange zest, ginger garlic, and onion. Bring to a boil.
3. Combine 3 tablespoons of cornstarch with 1/4 cup of water and mix thoroughly (do this in a separate bowl). Slowly stir cornstarch mixture into sauce until it thickens.
4. Pour sauce over breaded chicken, and if your kids like hot and spicy add red pepper flakes and garnish with green onions
We serve this over a bed of rice and steamed red bell peppers, broccoli, celery and carrots.
*I have made Orange Chicken from scratch by breading the chicken breast myself and I must say this version is quite tasty and easier.